Surprise as Gov Shettima accuses UNICEF, 'sacks' other International Aid Agencies, orders them to leave his state

11/Jan/2017   //    Viewers:659    //    Likes:    //    Shares:    //    Comments:



Yummly


Most aid groups operating in Nigeria's north-east are wasting funds meant to help victims of the Islamist Boko Haram insurgency, a state governor has said.

Only eight of 126 registered agencies in Borno state were there to genuinely help, Kashim Shettima said.

He criticised the UN children's agency (Unicef) for buying bullet-proof cars, saying he did not use such vehicles.

Last month, the UN launched a $1bn (£825,000) appeal for those facing hunger and starvation in the region.

The UN said that nearly 5.1 million people in three north-eastern states were expected to face serious food shortages as for a third year in a row farmers had been unable to plant, fearing unexploded improvised devices left behind by militants.

Urgent aid was needed for some 100,000 people, mostly children, at risk of dying of starvation.

The military has recaptured much of the land controlled by Boko Haram in 2014, but thousands of people who fled their homes are still living in camps.

Governor Shettima did single out some aid agencies that were doing a good job such as the UN's World Food Programme (WFP), the International Committee of the Red Cross, the International Organization for Migration, the Norwegian Refugee Council and the Danish Refugee Council.
But those agencies only there to profit "from the agony of our people" should leave, he said.

'White flashy bullet-proof jeeps'

According to the Associated Press news agency, Mr Shettima made the comments on Tuesday night to MPs and journalists at the state legislature in Borno's main city of Maiduguri.

 








Make a Comment



CLICK TO WATCH BBC WORLD NEWS













web counter