• : Breaking: Minister fired over $34.5m maize order!

    23/Feb/2017 // 1134 Viewers

     

    PARIS, FEBRUARY 23, 2017: (DGW)   Over a scandal that has been dubbed 'maizegate', the very latest in living memory was enough reason for Minister of Agriculture to have been kicked out of office, Daily Trust reports.

    George Chaponda, Malawi's Minister of Agriculture did not escape President Peter Mutharika's wrath following an order to launch an investigation into a $34.5m (£27.7m) maize order from Zambia. 

    Part of the consignment is alleged to have disappeared as did some of the money that was budgeted for the importation.

    Mr Chaponda had last week said that he would not leave office until proven guilty of any wrongdoing, which he denied.

    Information Minister Nicolaus Dausi said the president sacked Chaponda after he was found with millions of money at his residence yesterday.


    Read More
  • IPID to investigate the death of Nigerian detained by Police in South Africa

    23/Jan/2016 // 393 Viewers

     

    PARIS, JANUARY 23, 2016: (DGW)  -  South Africa's Independent Police Investigative Directorate has been tasked with investigating the death of one Nigerian who was arrested and detained by the South African police.

    The cause of the death of the Nigerian man has not been made known but rumours on the grapevine say he died as a result of torture while in police custody. 

    Contrary to the above claim, some police officers   told our reporter in Johannesburg that the deceased died from complications of the hard  drugs which he swallowed when he was arrested by the anti-drug crack squad.

    Robbie Raburabu, the spokesperson of the Independent Police Investigative Directorate when met by our reporter for detail declined comments but only told him the young man in question died in police custody.

    However, the death of the young man sparked off a protest by the Nigerian Community members outside the hospital where he eventually turned up his toes alleging that he was suffocated to death by police  while in custody.

    The case has  therefore been handed over to Independent Police Investigative Directorate for Investigation resulting from the ongoing claim and counter-accusation.

     


    Read More
  • Hard times hit Poor South Africans @ Christmas

    25/Dec/2015 // 702 Viewers

     

    PARIS, DECEMBER 25, 2015: (DGW) Times are bad, indeed very hard in Africa. For many Christians all over the world, Christmas Day is set aside as a special day for celebrations with other  families and friends to commemorate the birth of Jesus.

    It is a special day for the adherents of the Christian faith to come together, enjoy the society and company of loved ones.

    Life could also be very hard for  poor South Africans who live in the most industrialized and developed country on the continent of Africa. One of such South African families, a scavenger named Johannes Manching aged 48, as reported by the South African Broadcasting Corporation (SABC) monitored in Paris  at19:42 hours on Friday who  lives near Kimberly's biggest refuse dump has a touching tale to tell. 

    Mr. Manching reportedly depends on scavenging through rubbish in the refuse dump for food and also  gather recyclable materials that could be sold to buy food as that remains his only option for survival under the existing circumstances.

    Johannes Machings scavenging for food in a dump site

    Johannes Manching, the scavenger who has been unemployed for over 14 years now said he does not have food to eat; he has no job in a country as developed as South Africa which, in fact, is Africa's 2nd largest economy. As one who has resigned himself to luck and  fate said he is used to this life which remains his only hope of survival.

    53 years old Rita Kwes, a mother with children also narrated her case which is better imagined than real. She said in a bid to keep body and soul together she visits the dump site every day to scavenge for empty bottles and other scraps to sell from where she gets money to feed her children.

    This was indeed another heart-rending story narrated by a citizen of the most developed  country in Africa  which is supposedly on a par with other high-income economies around the world.

     

     

     


    Read More
  • Breaking: King Mswati III of Swaziland rolls out royal decree, orders schools to teach only Christianity throughout the country - AFP reports

    25/Jan/2017 // 2490 Viewers

     

    Swaziland’s schools opened for the new academic year on Tuesday under new government orders to teach only Christianity, a move criticised by opponents as fuelling intolerance of Muslims.

    Officials said that old text books were being replaced with new ones that mention only the Bible, and that schools were required to submit a list of qualified religious studies teachers ahead of the start of term.

    “Other religions will not be offered at primary and high school level,” said Pat Muir, a top education ministry official, adding that the policy sought to avoid confusing pupils.

    “At tertiary level they will be able to make a decision to learn about other religions,” he said.

    Some surveys put Swaziland’s Muslim population as high as 10%, but the US Department of State in 2015 put the figure at about two percent.
    Many Swazis combine Christianity with indigenous beliefs, and religious freedoms are written into the country’s 2005 constitution.

    The education ministry last week instructed all head teachers to ensure that the syllabus would not mention any religion other than Christianity, including Islam and Judaism.

    Sahid Matsebula, a Swazi-born Muslim who works for a mosque near the capital Mbabane, said the government’s policy could worsen religious friction in the southern African nation.

    “What plan does the government have in place for our children who are not Christian?” he told AFP.

    “They will be taught one thing at home and taught something else at school.”
    ‘Discrimination’

    The US State Department’s International Religious Freedom Report said some schools have long sought to prevent Muslim pupils from leaving early for Friday prayers.

    It also said some Christian groups “discriminated against non-Christian religious groups, especially in rural areas where people generally held negative views on Islam.”

    The new education policy comes after public complaints over Asian and Muslim migration into the country led parliament to set up a commission of enquiry last year.

    Some illegal migrants have since been deported, and Minister of Commerce and Trade Jabulani Mabuza told parliament that a law making it harder for foreigners to set up businesses in Swaziland was in the pipeline.

    Church leaders in Swaziland welcomed the Christianity-only syllabus.
    “Christianity is the bedrock religion on which this country was built,” said Stephen Masilela, president of the Swaziland Conference of Churches.

    Swaziland, with a population of about 1.2 million, has been ruled by King Mswati III, Africa’s last absolute monarch, since 1986.

    The country suffers dire poverty and has struggled to lift its economy, and has faced international criticism that the government stifles dissent, jails its opponents and denies workers’ rights.


    Read More
  • World leaders in shock as Robert Mugabe causes global fear with this threat

    25/Sep/2016 // 1700 Viewers

     

    Though the 71st General Assembly of the United Nations just ended successfully, a new controversy that could tear the organisation apart is brewing. 
     
    CCTV Africa is reporting that the Zimbabwean President Robert Mugabe has threatened that Africa would pull out of the UN because of the global organisation’s refusal to admit the continent into the permanent membership of the United Nations Security Council despite various efforts.
    Mugabe claims that many attempts by the African Union to become a member of the security council had failed, according to the report which quoted the Sunday Mail.
     
     “This year we went to UN as an African committee after we agreed to join hands and speak with one voice on the issue of vetoing power…It’s unfortunate that we had not finished and agreed on our position as the African Union, but I hope all will be fine next year.
     
    “But next year in September if they keep on refusing to accept and give the Africa Union the veto powers we will pull out,” the report quoted him as saying at the Harare International Airport upon his return to the country from the General Assembly which was held in New York, the United States.
     
    According to the report, the security council currently comprises China, Russia, Britain, France, and the United States while Britain, France and America are said to be frustrating Africa from becoming a member.
     
    They must not cry foul when countries from these regions pull out and form our own Union…The Union will have countries such as China, India and other Asian countries, and then we have to see that which countries will remain in United Nations,” Mugabe said.
     
    President Muhammadu Buhari of Nigeria also returned from the one-week event on Sunday, September 25 with commendation from the government that he represented the country well. 
     
    Credit: DAILY MAIL; NAIJ.COM
     


    Read More
  • Man, aged 33 gang raped by 3 women and semen made away with

    26/Dec/2015 // 700 Viewers

     

    PARIS, DECEMBER 26, 2015: (DGW) Reports reaching our Paris news desk say a certain man, aged 33 was abducted, gang-raped by three women, samples of his semen made away with and had him dumped afterwards on a roadside, DailyGlobeWatch has been reliably informed.

    The middle-aged man was reportedly abducted at gunpoint after a BMW car pulled over on the hard shoulder in Port Elizabeth area, Kwazakhele Township to be precise under  the pretext of asking for direction.

    The psychological trauma that ensued could not give the victim a chance for any arousal. The three ladies, reports say, had to force him to drink an unknown substance, had him raped in succession, made away with samples of his semen scooped in plastic bags  preserved in a cooler box and dumped him some 500km away from where he was originally abducted, our source reported.  

     

    The man was rescued and later taken to the police station and the Police in Pretoria have commenced full-scale investigations into the bizarre incident, DailyGlobeWatch can authoritatively reveal.


    Read More
  • Breaking: Police arrest a man paid to sleep with 100 kids, got them infected with HIV

    27/Jul/2016 // 534 Viewers

     

    Police have arrested a man who claimed he was paid to sleep with more than 100 adolescent girls, officials said Tuesday.

    HIV-positive Eric Aniva, from the southern district of Nsanje, Malawi was arrested after he confessed during an interview to have slept with the girls as part of a traditional ritual marking their passage to womanhood, for a fee of between four and seven dollars, paid by each of their families.

    Malawi, which has one of the highest HIV infections in the world, criminalises sex with a person under the age of 16. If found guilty of underage sex, Aniva could be jailed for life.

    AFP reported that the little-known local practice lasted three days and was performed in southern Malawi by men known as "hyenas" at the request of a girl's parents after her first period.

    The report added that the ritual was believed to train girls to become good wives and to protect them from disease or misfortune that could fall on their families or their village.

    The news angered Malawian President Peter Mutharika who issued a statement ordering Aniva's arrest and calling for an inquiry into the role of the parents involved.

    Aniva should "be investigated for exposing the young girls to contracting HIV and further be charged accordingly," Mutharika added. "Harmful cultural and traditional practices cannot be accepted."

    District commissioner Gift Lapozo told AFP "Aniva was arrested on Monday after he was summoned to my office".

    Aniva confessed to being infected with HIV and sleeping with at least 100 girls without using protection in a BBC interview broadcast last week.

    "Some girls are just 12 or 13 years old, but I prefer them older," he said.

    It was unclear how long Aniva had been a "hyena".

    It was reported that sexual cleansing ritual was also performed on bereaved widows in Nsanje district to exorcise villages of evil spirits or to prevent another death occurring.

    The 40-something Aniva, who has two wives, said a "hyena" was selected by the community based on good morals and that custom did not allow him to use condoms. - AFP


    Read More
  • Breaking: Igbo business man, Ikejiaku Chinedu, aged 35, killed in South Africa - NAN

    27/Jul/2016 // 3213 Viewers

     

    The Nigeria Union in South Africa on Wednesday confirmed the killing of a Nigerian businessman in Limpopo Province of South Africa on Tuesday.
    Collins Mgbo, Secretary of the Union’s chapter in Limpopo, told the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) in Polokwane, Limpopo Province, that Ikejiaku Chinedu, 35, was killed by guards of a private security firm at about 8.00p.m.

    He said that the deceased was an indigene of Ogwa, Mbaitoli Local Government Area of Imo and married with three children.

    “One of our members here, Ikejiaku Chinedu, was killed at the outskirts of Polokwane, Limpopo Province of South Africa.

    “Information available to us showed that guards of the security company chased and arrested him, he was beaten.

    “The autopsy result we have showed that there were bruises all over his body, showing that he was beaten to death or suffocated,” he said.

    Mgbo said the union had reported the incident to the South African police for investigation.

    “The South African police assured us of thorough investigation to ensure that justice is done.

    “We have also reported this incident to the national secretariat of our union in Pretoria,” he said.

    The president of the Union, Ikechukwu Anyene, said it had received report of the incident.

    “We have received report of this sad incident. We call on the South African police to investigate this matter and bring the culprits to book,” he said.

    Anyene said that 15 Nigerians had been killed in South Africa since the beginning of the year.

    Anyene said the union would send the report to the Nigerian Consulate for necessary action.


    Read More
  • BREAKING: Finance Minister, team humilated, recalled from trip abroad for not taking permission

    27/Mar/2017 // 912 Viewers

     

    PARIS, MARCH 27, 2017: (DGW) The Minster of Finance has been  and team have been recalled from an investor roadshow to Britain and the United States of America because permission was not granted nor given for the trip, South Africa's Presidency sources disclosed.

    Appointed in 2015 after a predecessor’s sudden sacking, Gordhan was in London for the first leg of a week-long non-deal investor roadshow in Britain and the U.S.

    Weak economic growth and tensions within the ruling party African National Congress (ANC) have put South Africa’s investment grade credit rating at risk.

    The rand fell as much as 1.7 per cent following the report, while bonds weakened sharply. Banking shares on the Johannesburg bourse fell more than 2 per cent.

    A government source said: “they were told last night or this morning to come back… the presidency did not give permission for the trip.”

    The president’s office could not be reached for comment.

    Africa’s most industrialised economy escaped being downgraded to junk status last year.

    S and P Global Ratings and Fitch Ratings both rank the sovereign one level above junk, while Moody’s puts it two notches higher.

    Moody’s, which put South Africa on negative watch in its latest review, is due to revisit that on April 7, followed by S and P at the beginning of June.

    Gordhan’s team on the trip to London, Boston and New York included deputy finance minister Mcebisi Jonas and Treasury director general Lungisa Fuzile, as well as business executives and union leaders.


    Read More
  • Defiant Zuma says no 'shortcut' to new S.Africa president

    28/Apr/2016 // 234 Viewers

     

    Johannesburg (AFP) - Embattled South African President Jacob Zuma Wednesday appeared to rule out resigning before his second term ends in 2019, as protesters used the anniversary of the country's first democratic polls to renew calls for him to quit.

    "If you're elected at one point, and people no longer want you, humble yourself, accept it," Zuma told thousands of supporters at a rally in northern Limpopo province to mark the 22nd anniversary of the election that brought anti-apartheid icon Nelson Mandela to power.

    But Zuma also warned there could be no "shortcuts" to a shake-up at the top, saying any change of government had to come through "democratic institutions, so that we can have a peaceful state where the will of the majority prevails."

    Zuma has faced a chorus of calls to step down following a flurry of scandals, most notably over his use of millions of dollars in public money to furnish his private residence with a swimming pool, amphitheatre, chicken run and other amenities.

    On Wednesday, hundreds of people demonstrated in Johannesburg, Cape Town and Durban to demand Zuma step aside.

    Explaining the anger directed at Zuma, Ferrial Adam, one of the organisers of the Johannesburg protest, told AFP: "It's a combination of factors but people are quite angry and they don't feel empowered, they feel disregarded by the president."

    "It's a movement with lots of diversity in terms of age, race and social background and it has the potential to grow," she added.

    The 74-year-old president, who survived an impeachment vote in parliament earlier this month with the backing of his African National Congress (ANC), struck a defiant note in his address to party faithful.

    "We worked hard to build this country as millions of South Africans. It must not be destroyed by anarchists who have no interest in our wellbeing," Zuma said, referring to a threat by his former ally turned arch foe Julius Malema to remove the government through force.

    In an interview last week with Al-Jazeera television, Malema, who heads the radical leftist Economic Freedom Fighters (EFF), warned: "We will run out of patience very soon and we will remove this government through a barrel of a gun".

    Municipal elections set for August 3 will test the impact of the scandals engulfing Zuma on the ANC's support.

    Analysts say that if the party, which has been in power since 1994, loses control of one or more key cities, Zuma's leadership of the party -- and of the country -- could be in jeopardy.


    Read More


CLICK TO WATCH BBC WORLD NEWS













web counter