18/Feb/2016 // 958 Viewers
By Tunde Omo Sholanke
15 Reasons He had to be Stopped 'By All Means Necessary' In 2015.
I came to the point where I agreed with some online-tigers that “President Jonathan Must Be Stopped By All Means Necessary” and I also agreed with the former president and elder statesman, General Olusegun Obasanjo, that Mr. President and “his body language” must be stopped “before it is too late”.
Shamefully he wanted buy his party's nomination form on the 11th of November, 2014.
I agreed with the aforementioned both, as well as with some of our power-broker brothers in the north and their southern friends like Dr. Tilde, Dr. Junaid, Sule Lamido, Ciroma, Murtala Nyarko, Kwankwanso, Aliyu, Okorocha and Amaechi, who said that “Jonathan must be stopped at all cost”.
I agreed with all the above mentioned to the extent to which these 15 reasons posited in this article applies. I have taken out my time, out of patriotic zeal – to country, not necessarily to president - to critically evaluate former President Goodluck Ebele Jonathan’s personality and administration.￼ I have asked myself, “Hey Chidi Cali! Stop to think for a minute! Why do you think most of the powerful people in Nigeria, both within the ruling and the opposition parties would just be against one man?” They couldn't all be wrong at once, could they?
I came to realize that there was something wrong with that man as everyone could not be wrong at once, although the case of everyone of the Pharisee’s and Jew’s condemnation opinion of Jesus gives me reason to think that sometimes everyone could be wrong. But what is wrong with former President Jonathan? Don’t tell me he is Jesus! To answer the above question, I have had to do thorough soul-searching introspection, and evaluation of the facts, the fiction and the faction in searching for the truth. Luckily, I got the answers, which are listed in subsequent paragraphs as the fifteen reasons why Bros Joe had to be stopped the way they did.
In summary, the 15 reasons why I supported Online-warriors￼' position that “President Jonathan Must Be Stopped By All Means Necessary” as well as OBJ’s warning that it should be “Before It Is Too Late” will expose the truth why most of the powerful forces in Nigeria ganged up against President Jonathan and why formerly sworn enemies, hitherto incompatible and disgruntled politicians have united for a common cause. I am sure that after this bizarre article many people will be very disappointed with Jonathan the more.
It is understandable that some would not expect one who had been a vocal sympathizer of the president to apparently do a 360 at this injury time. But there comes a time in the life of a man when he must obey his conscience and do what he believes in. This was such a time. And for those who would be disappointed after reading this article, I apologize in advance but what I have written I have written. I don't give a damn! I am loyal to the country, not to any individual. And I must obey the dictates of my conscience. Below, is a list of the fifteen reasons why we stopped Jonathan before it was too late.
1. Jonathan did not keep his secret promises to the power cabal but he kept his electoral promises to Nigerians. He secretly ‘promised’ the born-to-rule feudal lords that he would do only one term in office but he did not keep that promise whereas he promised the bloody civilians that he would transform Nigeria and he did keep that silly promise. Is that politically wise? This is the first and major reason why I believe that Jonathan was wrong. So, he had to be stopped by all means necessary before it was too late!
2. They alleged that he was a desperate politician. I think I agree with that. Out of his desperation he became the president that approved the Freedom of Information Bill that gives Nigerians the right to get information from government, which his predecessors forbade. Out of his desperation he ensured that INEC got a competent boss who he did not previously personally know. Out of his desperation he pursued the passing of the Petroleum Industry Bill to give justice to the marginalized communities that feed our nation. Out of his desperation he allowed the Judiciary to be free and independent.
3. They said he is incompetent. I quite agree with them. Good examples of his incompetence are to be found on our federal highways, rail-lines, airports, seaports and other ports. If he were not incompetent how on earth could a man have restored railway services to Nigeria after 29 years of neglect?
How could a man simultaneously have upgraded most of the airports in Nigeria and built new ones? How could a have dualized all federal highways and fixing all the bad roads from North to South? Imagine the Benin-Lagos-Owe￼rri roads! Imagine the Abuja-Lokoja Road! Imagine the Lagos-Ibadan road (the road was a blood zone). Prior to the last 4 Months before 2015 general elections, nobody lost his life on that road) ! Imagine the Lagos –Kano Railway! Imagine the Port Harcourt – Maiduguri Railway! Imagine Enugu having an International Airport, even Onitsha and Warri having Ports and now ready for use. Haba? The reason why Fashola said no President has broken Jonathan's record in roads construction. Jonathan was incompetent jor!
4. They said he has no clue. This is the one I agree with the most. “The man was clueless!” Only a clueless Nigerian president will diversify the economy to make agriculture, housing, manufacturing and commerce to be competing with oil as our chief foreign exchange earner. The wicked president made Nigeria a fertile ground for Car Assembly and Manufacturing companies and went further to Privatize PHCN (NEPA), allowing foreign companies to invest in Electricity generation and distribution, a policy Fashola commended and vowed to follow. These developments expanded our economy and created millions of jobs in the country which we do not have again today under 9 months of Buhari's rule.
Was he not clueless? Answer for yourselves. He was clueless about governance but he was able to select and assemble some of the best available brains and technocrats to man his Techno-Cabinet.￼ Only a clueless man will line up Okonjo-Iweala, Olusegun Aganga, Adewumi, Onolenmenmen, Obanikoro, Nebo, Nnaji, Usman, etc, from time to time.
He was clueless about development but he resumed work on 2nd Niger Bridge, East-West Road, Zungeru Water Project, Power revolution attaining unprecedented generation and distribution capacity, he completed Onitsha Port and Akanu Ibiam International Airport and he encouraged industrializati￼on in Nigeria that we now have Made in Nigeria Rice, Cars, Choppers, Ships, even Drones.
He was so clueless that he invested three billion naira in further developing Nollywood to promote Nigeria’s towering image globally.
Only a clueless man could convoke a National Conference for which Enahoro, Adesanya, Fawehinmi, Ige, and all those patriots hoped to see in their lifetime but didn’t because those who had a clue were in charge. The man was indeed clueless!
He revolutionized agriculture thereby making us less dependent on foreign rice.
5. They said his “body language encouraged corruption” and others thoughtlessly regurgitate the tired and tiring cliché “He did not fight corruption” even though facts and figures showed that under his watch those holes and conduits that encourage corruption were systematically plugged and covered holistically. Nigerians love theatre and whoever gives them theatrics would be their Hero. Ribadu pursued all the thieves around and very few were caught and the treasury thoroughly bled like Syria. But here was a Jonathan, rather than pointlessly pursuing thieves in a circus show, removing the conduits and possibilities for stealing (instituting Controls) and some said he’s not fighting corruption. Do you want home video for a proof? Go to Iweka Road, Onitsha.
The biggest corruption in Africa, possibly in the world, was the Fuel Subsidy fraud. Jonathan busted that and saved billions of naira that a thousand Ribadu could not chase should they have been declared stolen. Oya clap for the clueless one jor!
PhD holder and a Primary Seven holder cannot use the same formula to solve any serious problem – and you can always trust that even the stupidity of the Ph.D holder will be smarter than the genius of a Primary Seven holder.
The next biggest corruption conduit in Nigeria was the issue of ghost and ghost workers who received physical and human salaries. It is only in Nigeria that ghost workers will retire and became ghost pensioners. Some of the ghost workers also received hazard and travel allowances. No jokes. Joejoe busted that also using biometric technology which he also prepared for use in our 2016 Census to solve an ancient puzzle of how many and who we really are, and we are saving billions daily. Oya clap hand for Oga at the Top a second time jare!
6. They said he was vindictive of political opponents but he was the one who recalled his arch opponent, El-Rufai from exile and rehabilitated the gentleman who has quickly forgotten where the rains drenched him. He was so vindictive that when he declared a State of Emergency that was long due in troubled states, opposition states, he refused to take advantage to remove the governors and plant his stooges like his predecessors did. To know how vindictive he was to his opponents go ask Atiku, Gusau, Bakare, even Amaechi. He was really so vindictive.
7. They said he did not perform. Each time I read anyone make such comment, the first investigation I make is about their age. The first impression I get is that such person might be a teenager who does not fully understand the conversation. The facts on paper and on the ground prove that President Jonathan performance has dwarfed the performances of all his predecessors thus he is among the best three presidents Nigeria has ever had – if not the very best already. For details of the facts, please if you cannot see it in the roads, look at the rails. If you cannot look at the rails, look at the sky or check out our airports. If you hate the skies, look at the ports. If you do not want to go far, look in your pot, the rice there is no longer from Thailand but from Ofada, Ebonyi and Ekpoma. 9 months of Buhari's rule our rice pyramid in the picture above has disappeared.
8. He is said to be clannish but he had only one Ijaw in his cabinet whereas Igbo, Yoruba, Hausa, Fulani has more than three members each. His native Ijaw is said to be the fourth largest group in Nigeria even though no credible census has ever been conducted in Nigeria to convincingly tell how many and who many we are. Permit my grammar. I come from Igodomigodo State. A man who is clannish is the one who would work on a federal road which starts from Benin City, starting only from his Sagamu to Lagos. Jonathan is clannish he fixed the whole stretch of the road. He is clannish he courageously tackled the Lagos-Ibadan Expressway. He is clannish he is fixed the East-West Road, Abuja-Lokoja Road, Keffi-Lafia Road, Makurdi-Oturkpo￼ Road, Ninth Mile Enugu Dual Road was completed in 2014. He is clannish he built 12 new Federal Universities, one in his home state, but none of them had his large highly educated and competent Ijaw person as Vice Chancellor. He is clannish and he's built a new seaport in Lagos State, his opponent's state, where one withheld LGA allocation and another - Buhari - canceled Metro-Rail project in 1984. Clannish indeed!
9. They said he is weak but he took on headlong the masterfully organized and well funded terrorist organization that carefully plotted to polarize Nigeria along religious grounds, instigate ethno-religious￼ conflict and then cremated the nation. Only a strong leader could combat Boko Haram the way Jonathan did.
Strength is not in noise making, but in strategizing. He is weak; he outmaneuvered Dambazzau and his men. He is weak, he defeated the ‘Northern Consensus’ Atiku. He is weak he made IBB and Gusau to retreat. . He is weak he withstood dissenting governors and legislators who had the temerity to desert their own party. He is weak he forced a senior letter writer to voluntarily retire from partisan politics. He is weak he sent the old-school 20 20 Naira Policemen out of our highway where some had erected their own police extortion centers and made them truly mobile and effective patrolmen. Weak, ba? You wish!
10.They said he is wicked but in 2010 he approved a 53% increase in workers’ salary to make workers live a better life and that police to cure. Today, government workers are liked by landlords and no longer rejected when they go in search for accommodation because the landlords now know they can pay. Since Buhari took over this goodwill between landlord and tenants has again changed following the mass sacking of works and non-payment of salary running into months. This was non-existent during President Jonathan.
11.They said he did nothing in the power sector but he transformed the power sector, unbundled the corrupt and inefficient PHCN, decentralized distribution networks, increased our generation capacity over 100% and he simultaneously built TEN power plants across the nation. If that is nothing, then we need more of nothing.
12. He's said to not give a damn about education but he released the UBE funds to every state to guarantee free primary and basic education. Before you argue that it is statutory duty, recall that the one who gave a damn seized statutory allocation to even LGA councils. He didn't give a damn but he built several befitting Almajiri schools for the hitherto used and dumped across Northern Nigeria to educate the power who should never be tools in the hands of thieves hiding behind religion and ethnicity to deny their own people development and empowerment.
He did not give a damn but he the biggest deal with ASUU in 30 years. He did not give a damn he increased funding for existing universities while he founded 12 new well founded and funded universities to give each state in Nigeria, at least, a federal university.
13. They said he had good luck only for Jonathan and Pepe but bad luck for Nigeria but under his watch Nigeria migrated from Poor and Pariah to Big and BriNcs and from Big and BriNcs now we are called a Marvel and MiNt. Whose good luck is that? Answer for yourselves. As if that was not enough, Super Eagles, Golden Eagles, Super Falcon and all our athletes suddenly rediscovered that they are Eagles and not Chickens. This good luck must not be missed, I swear. Me too I am henceforth expecting Jonathan’s good luck to me. Walahi! Good luck to me, good luck to you, good luck to us all. Goodluck Nigeria!
14. He is said to be a kindergarten president but since pensioner presidents and ex-convict party leaders failed to be creatively performing in their times as chief executives the kindergarten president started to manufacture Made-in-Nigeria￼ cars, choppers, warships, and even drones. Need I repeat Made in Nigeria, not Thailand, Rice? Only expired and discredited ex-convicts would dare call the digital president such thoughtless name. Kindergarten old crook!
15. He was said to have trained snipers, kept a nebulous long list and intolerant of opposition but no opposition figure has been shot despite the avalanche of his open, semi-open, secret and not-so-secret enemies unlike before in the days of Ige, Dikibo, Williams, etc. A certain Senator who should rather be taking roles in Nollywood, plus a certain misguided son of a once great man in Yorubaland and a certain little man causing big, big trouble in Twitter, next to the man who is called Liar, desperately wish themselves in the so-called long list, even if it means their having to commit suicide, all in a bid to give credibility to incredulity. Therefore, fellow Netizens, the above are the reasons why they say Jonathan had to be stopped by all means necessary and they deceived everyone and stopped him
Pity! I believe that, by now, having considered the foregoing fifteen reasons and supporting evidences on why they Stopped President Goodluck Jonathan By All Means Necessary, you are convinced beyond all doubt, reasonable and unreasonable ones included, that those who stopped Jonathan by all means are enemies of Nigeria who must not only be stopped by all means necessary but also be exposed for who they are – enemies, pretenders, bigots, felons!
They are well funded to lie and deceive many. Many States of the opposition vote incredible portion of their budget to fuel this lying cartel. If you doubt this bold-faced claim, please get a copy of the Lagos State 2014 budget and compare the votes for education and social-media on the scale of relativity and you will come to understand why so many people throng online and have taken up paid jobs in bashing the former President for every single They are each working very hard to earn their pay of the largesse budget vote by an opposition party which have neither ideology, discipline nor vision for development action, even when he did what is not only right and laudable but also transformation.￼ All they write is Nay Nay to the ridiculous point that some have turned to gay automatically from the moment President Jonathan signed the ASS (Anti-Same Sex) Marriage Bill into law.
Nigeria other than the pointless pretext of “PDP is bad” yet they crawl and kneel by day and by night, even in the mud, daily, begging the same PDP members and leaders not only to join them but to navigate for them – directionless directionlessne￼ss! Apologies again for my Igodomigodo.
Fellow Nigerians, on a final note, I urge you all by the mercies of God and for the love of country - to ignore the ranting of these misleading individuals who peddle lies that the former President did nothing for Nigeria.
Next time these wicked people approach you, on their hate mission or blindly opposing your President's policies, remind them that Jonathan's Transformation agenda were tangible, people can see them as they are not fairly tales.
Whether they approach you through their military wing that hates peace and civilization, cowardly throwing bombs in public places, or their media wing, that lie and propagate frivolous stories via the mainstream media, on the internet or their literature wing that write and leak open and closed kiss, refrain and tell letters, or their political wing that treacherously and shamelessly claim that “It is our turn to rule”, I have advised you to send them this message.
Let them know that "who God blesses, No can one curse". Confront the haters with these words; "2015: Challenge Jonathan with facts Not Hate.
Tunde Omo Sholanke, an architect writes from Lagos, Nigeria.