• Gorbachev says health improving, can walk again

    02/Oct/2015 // 212 Viewers

    AFP/File | Former Soviet Union leader Mikhail Gorbachev instituted the political and economic reforms that became known as glasnost (openness) and perestroika (rebuilding)

     

    BERLIN (AFP) - 

    The Soviet Union's last leader Mikhail Gorbachev, who has been battling diabetes, said Friday his health is improving and that he can walk again with the help of a stick.

    "I feel much better. I can walk again, with a stick that I had to get used to in the beginning. But that was a big step because a few months ago, I could not," Gorbachev told German daily Bild.

    His sugar levels have now stabilised "but I must continue taking medication," he said, adding that during his convalescence he read a lot, including 12 newspapers every morning.

    "I am also writing another book, and I am fighting," said the 84-year-old.

    The Nobel Peace Prize winner who became Soviet leader in 1985 instituted the political and economic reforms that became known as glasnost (openness) and perestroika (rebuilding).

    The reforms transformed society throughout the Soviet bloc countries, giving people their first taste of Western culture and resulting in an independent press boom across the 15 republics of the former USSR.

    Gorbachev served as Soviet leader until 1991, when his reforms gave the Moscow-controlled republics enough strength to declare independence, and for Russia together with Belarus and Ukraine to sign an agreement on the Soviet Union's dissolution.

    DailyGlobeWatch with AFP


    Read More
  • Record 168,000 people reached Europe by sea in September: UN

    02/Oct/2015 // 249 Viewers

    Guardia Costiera/AFP/File | Child migrants are helped by rescuers during a rescue operation off the coast of Libya

     

    GENEVA (AFP) - 

    Some 168,000 migrants and refugees made the perilous journey across the Mediterranean to Europe in September, marking the highest monthly figure on record, the United Nations said Friday.

    "In September, 168,000 crossed the Mediterranean. That's the highest monthly figure ever, and almost five times the number seen in September 2014," UN refugee agency spokesman Adrian Edwards told reporters.

    He said the September figure was more than two thirds of the total number of arrivals in 2014, when 219,000 migrants and refugees crossed the Mediterranean to Europe.

    So far this year, almost 530,000 people have made the voyage, with nearly 400,000 of them arriving in Greece and 131,000 arriving in Italy.

    Around 3,000 people have died attempting the journey since January.

    Edwards said Greece, which recorded 43,500 arrivals throughout 2014, had seen 153,000 migrants and refugees land on its shores last month alone.

    A full 97 percent of those arriving in Greece are fleeing from the world's 10 top refugee-producing countries, including Syria, Afghanistan and Iraq, he stressed.

    This week, however, there had been a "noticeable drop" in arrivals to Greece due to poorer weather, Edwards said.

    While some 6,600 people had landed on Greek shores on September 25, the number plunged to 2,200 the next day and as low as 1,500 on Thursday.

    But any improvement in the weather was "likely to bring another surge in sea arrivals," he said.

    Edwards reiterated UNHCR's call for Europe to urgently implement a plan for relocating 120,000 refugees across the continent, despite fierce opposition from central and eastern states.

    The UN agency also wants Europe to establish "robust facilities to receive, assist, register and screen all people arriving by sea," he said.

    "These are steps needed for stabilising the crisis."

    UNHCR on Thursday said it now expects 700,000 people to reach Europe by sea this year, and at least the same number again in 2016.

    (DailyGlobeWatch with AFP)


    Read More
  • GRUDGES: Bubble bursts as Turkish Govt finally deals Nigeria a crushing blow!

    02/Oct/2016 // 4729 Viewers

     

    PARIS, OCTOBER 2, 2016: (DGW) All is not well between the Turkish and the Nigerian government as the latter  has decided to give Nigeria a raw deal over its alleged complicity in the botched coup to topple President Erdogan by  clamping down on Nigerian students in the country who allegedly took part in the  failed coup.

    According to report by THIS DAY newspapers, no fewer than 50 Nigerian students were yesterday arrested in Turkey, allegedly on the orders of the government. A source whose relative was among the detained students stated that “upon arrival at Ataturk International Airport in Istanbul, they were all escorted to a room and their passport confiscated by Turkish police.”

    The detained Nigerians are mainly students of Fathi University, one of the private universities in Turkey. The school which is located in the metropolitan Büyükçekmece district of Istanbul, Turkey was founded in 1996 with a rela- tively high rate of international students from 102 countries. “When they enquired why they were clamped in a dirty room, the police said they are students of a terrorist organisa- tion. They offered to transfer them to government schools but on the condition that we will pay same fees as private universities,” the source added.

    The Fathi University is among the 2099 schools, dormitories and universities shut down in the wake of the July 15th failed coup in Turkey. The Turkish authorities said the schools and universities were terrorist schools because they have links with Islamic scholar Fethullah Gulen, whom the Turkish government had accused of being the mastermind of the coup in Turkey. It would also be recalled the Turkish Ambassador in Nigeria Mr. Hakan Cakil, had requested the Nigerian authorities to close down 17 Turkish schools in Nigeria for alleged links to the Hizmet movement.

    The Nigerian Authorities rejected the call, stating that it would rely on evidence linking the proprietors of the schools in Nigeria to the failed coup in Turkey. In exclusive pictures obtained, students could be seen lying down on the bare floor in a room that could barely be habitable. Our source also hinted of a particular case of a Nigerian by name Aminat, a final year student in one of the universities affected by the closure at the time of the coup. 

    The source said: “Aminat came to the airport to travel to Nigeria since her school had been shut, but to her surprise, she was asked to pay a penalty for entering the country illegally. She paid the fine, and she was kept, alongside others in the same room with people waiting to be deported.” THISDAY also reported that some of those detained at the airport were made to sign docu- ments giving their consent to deportation from Turkey. An e-mail to the Turkish em- bassy on why the students were detained was not responded to as at the time of going to press.


    Read More
  • 1st passenger flight leaves Brussels since March 22 attacks

    03/Apr/2016 // 250 Viewers

     

    BRUSSELS (AP) — A Brussels Airlines plane heading to the Portuguese city of Faro took off from Brussels Airport on Sunday, the first passenger flight to leave the airport since suicide bombings on March 22 ripped through its check-in counters.

    Security at the airport was tight with completely new check-in procedures for passengers. Two other planes were scheduled to leave later Sunday — Brussels Airlines flights to Athens and Turin, Italy — from a European aviation hub that used to handle 600 flights a day.

    Arnaud Feist, the CEO of Brussels Airport Co., called Sunday's flights a symbolic "sign of hope" following "the darkest days in the history of aviation in Belgium."

    He also thanked all employees for their courage.

    "We are more than an airport ... We are a family more bound together than ever," he said at an airport ceremony Sunday.

    Damage to the airport was extensive when double suicide bombs exploded near its crowded check-in counters 12 days ago, killing 16 victims and maiming people from around the world. Another bombing that day on a Brussels subway train killed 16 other people. Both attacks were claimed by the Islamic State group.

    Feist said Belgium's biggest airport should be back around 20 percent of capacity on Monday and able to process 800 passengers an hour. He said Saturday that he hoped full service at the airport could be restored by the end of June or the beginning of July in time for the summer vacation season.

    New security measures at the airport aimed to minimize the chances of any repeat attacks.

    Police on Sunday conducted spot checks of vehicles before they arrived. A large white tent was set up outside the terminal to screen travelers' IDs, travel documents and bags before they were allowed to enter the building.

    A drop-off parking area outside the terminal was closed down and authorities said there would be no rail or public transport access to the airport for the foreseeable future.

    The bombers entered the check-in area with suitcases packed with explosives and nails, and the resulting blasts collapsed the airport's ceiling and shattered windows.

    The attacks have prompted a wider discussion among aviation authorities in many countries over whether to impose routine security checks at the entry to airport terminals


    Read More
  • Russian Defence Ministry building goes up in flames

    03/Apr/2016 // 371 Viewers

     

    PARIS, APRIL 3, 2016: (DGW) - Russian Defence Ministry building in central Moscow on Sunday went up in flames. Clouds of smoke could be seen billowing from the ruins into the sky, DailyGlobeWatch  can authoritatively reveal.

    Firefighters were reportedly on hand to put out the flames and as many as 50 people were evacuated unhurt from the administrative part of the building, a reliable source told  our reporter in Moscow.

    A spokesperson from the defence ministry told our reporter that rescue operations were still ongoing as of the time of filing this report. Flames, he said , were extinguished with the aid of fire engines sending water through hoses overhead.

    The cause of the fire was not readily disclosed but unconfirmed sources have it that fire may have started from an old  short circuit because the 18th-century building itself, our source , added has seen better days.

     


    Read More
  • Just In! Read what Pope Francis says about Islam and Muslims

    03/Aug/2016 // 1667 Viewers

     

    PARIS, AUGUST 3, 2016: (DGW) - THE  Catholic pontiff has broken silence surrounding common beliefs and opinions held by people about the Islamic religion and this has sparked of reactions across the world by people who are either opposed to or shares the same view held by the Pope

    Pope Francis stated that Islam is not actually a terorrist adding that it would be wrong to say so

    His words:

    “I think it is neither true nor right to say that Islam is a terrorist religion,” he said.

    The pope was in Poland from Wednesday to Sunday for World Youth Day, a week-long event attended by over a million pilgrims.

    A day before he left, an elderly Catholic priest was killed in Northern France during Mass, in an attack that the Islamic State claimed responsibility.

    The pontiff noted that “one thing is true, I think that in nearly all religions there is always a small group of fundamentalists, and it is a problem also for Christians.

    “If I had to talk about Muslim violence, I would have to also talk about Catholic violence. Not all Muslims are violent, not all Catholics are violent”.

    He said Europeans should reflect on what drove disaffected youth to join the Islamic terror group.

    “I ask myself how many young people, whom we Europeans have left empty of ideals, have no jobs and turn to drugs, alcohol or enroll themselves in fundamentalist groups,” he said.


    Read More
  • Downing of our plane unpardonable, says President Putin

    03/Dec/2015 // 468 Viewers

                                             Vladimir Putin, Russian President

     

    The President of Russia has said that the downing of Russian warplane that killed one of its pilots  by Turkey remains unpardonable. It is an act of provocation Russia will never forget.

    In his state of the nation address Putin was quoted as saying “We will not forget this complicity with terrorists. We always considered and will always consider treachery to be the ultimate and lowest act. Let those in Turkey who shot our pilots in the back know this,” 

    It would be recalled the two countries have been at war of words over the downing of Russian jet along Syrian border which Turkey consistently says repeatedly violated its borders.

    In a counterclaim, Russia says Turkey downed its plane because of the oil supplies and trade with the Islamic State jihadists, a claim which Ankara denies.

    “We know for example who in Turkey fills their pockets and allows terrorists to make money from the stolen oil in Syria,” Putin said.

    “It is precisely with this money that the bandits recruit mercenaries, buy arms and organise inhuman terrorist acts aimed against our citizens, the citizens of France, Lebanon, Mali and other countries.”

    In retaliation, Moscow has banned all food imports and scrapped the visa-free regime between the two countries.

    Continuing Putin said “We will not rattle our sabres. But if someone thinks that after committing heinous war crimes, the murder of our people, it will end with tomatoes and limitations in construction and other fields, then they are deeply mistaken,” Putin said.

    “We will not stop reminding them of what they did and they will not stop regretting their actions.”

    “Only Allah, most likely, knows why they did this. And evidently Allah decided to punish the ruling clique in Turkey by depriving them of their intelligence and reason.”, he concluded.

    Erdogan's efforts to meet President Putin for resolution of the matter in the Paris UN climate talk did not yield any fruitful dividend. 


    Read More
  • Political rift deepens as talks between Moscow & Ankara remain deadlocked

    03/Dec/2015 // 310 Viewers

                             Russian & Turkish Foreign Ministers Thursday in Belgrade

    The meeting called in Belgrade Thursday between Russia and Turkey to resolve the political rift caused by the downing of the Russian warplane over Syrian border  nine days ago has remained deadlocked. In the meeting were the Russian foreign ministers, Sergei Lavrov and his Turkish counterpart Melvut Cavusoglu.

    Putin says it is a war crime which Turkey must pay for and in consequence of this Russia has sanctioned Turkey by banning some foods imports and scrapped its visa-free regime, but Turkey says it reserve its right to protect its airspace against violation and failed to apologize which Russia has consistently demanded. 

    Speaking to our reporter in Belgrade, the Serbian capital,  Sergei Lavrov said the meeting called by Ankara has failed to resolve the dispute adding that there was nothing new in the talks.

    Today's meeting according to Turkish Foreign Minister Cavusloglu would pave the way for a peaceful resolution for it has only succeeded in keeping ''the channels for dialogue open'' adding that he does not think or foresee further escalation of tensions between the two countries.

     

     


    Read More
  • Don't bring dirty money to church - Pope Francis warns

    03/Mar/2016 // 694 Viewers

     

    PARIS, MARCH 3, 2016: The Catholic Pontiff, Pope Francis has issued a stern warning to those earning money by abusing the labour laws of the land exploiting low-wage workers to go away with their loot adding that the church does not need such money.

    While reminding such donors of the dire consequences of their actions while speaking with pilgrims at the Vatican he further said that the people of God far from needing dirty money need hearts that are open to God's infinitude mercy.

    His words, '“Some donors come to the Church offering profits from the blood of people who have been exploited, mistreated, enslaved with badly paid work. I will say to them: ‘Please take your money away, burn it. The people of God… do not need dirty money, they need hearts that are open to God’s mercy,” 

    Further in his weekly address, the pope described money as ''the dung of the evil' berating unbridled capitalism which drew angry criticism from US business leaders. 

     

     


    Read More
  • 'Do not come to Europe', EU's Tusk warns economic migrants

    03/Mar/2016 // 498 Viewers

     

     

    EU Council President Donald Tusk told illegal economic migrants on Thursday not to risk their lives or money to make a perilous trip to Europe “for nothing” but said unilateral actions by European Union states to deal with the crisis must stop.

    Tusk was on a trip through Balkan states to try to drum up support for cohesion on how to deal with hundreds of thousands of migrants - a crisis that threatens to tear the bloc apart - before an EU summit on Monday.

    From Greece, which has been a primary gateway of migrants flooding into Europe for more than a year, Tusk said anyone who was not a refugee should stay away.

    “I want to appeal to all potential illegal economic migrants wherever you are from: Do not come to Europe. Do not believe the smugglers. Do not risk your lives and your money. It is all for nothing,” Tusk said.

    Up to 30,000 refugees and migrants have been stranded in Greece from progressive border closures further up the “Balkan corridor”, the route taken to get into wealthier central and northern Europe.

    “At Monday’s summit, Greece will demand that burden sharing be equitable among all countries in the bloc, and sanctions for those that do not,” Prime Minister Alexis Tsipras said after meeting Tusk.

    “We ask that unilateral actions stop in Europe,” said Tspiras in a view echoed by Tusk.

    EU officials have told Reuters that European governments, and particularly Germany, are looking to Turkey to reduce the number of migrant arrivals in Greece to below 1,000 a day at most as an initial condition for discussing taking some Syrian refugees directly from Turkey.

    Tsipras said Greece would continue to do whatever it could to ensure no migrant or refugee was left helpless. But he added Greece could not bear the burden by itself.

    “We will not allow Greece or any other country to be turned into a warehouse of souls,” Tsipras said. “We are at a crucial moment for the future of Europe.”

    Greece would make every effort to apply international treaties. Speaking of the masses of people reaching Greek shores on small inflatable dinghies from Turkey, Tsipras said: “We will not push back people in the sea, risking the lives of children.”

    Officials said Tusk would be stressing in Athens and Ankara on Thursday that the goal was to eliminate entirely the transit of migrants from Turkey to Greece and that Europeans believed Turkey should be able to bring the numbers down to the “low triple digits” very soon.

    “If there were to be a target figure, it would be zero,” one EU official said, noting that 1,000 people a day would mean an unsustainable 350,000 people a year arriving in Greece. - Reuters

     


    Read More


CLICK TO WATCH BBC WORLD NEWS