• Survivors of Ivory Coast attack recount ordeal

    14/Mar/2016 // 735 Viewers

     

    GRAND-BASSAM, Ivory Coast (AP) — Survivors of the first attack by Islamic extremists in Ivory Coast described scenes of confusion and fear as the jihadists gunned down defenseless civilians at a beachfront resort town. The attack left 16 dead.

     

    Those who make a living off tourism believed the attack on three hotels Sunday would deal it a huge blow.

    "Here, we work every day so foreigners (can) come here to relax ... With all that has happened, I don't think that the clients are going to come back now," said Francois Tanon, who rents beach chairs to tourists.

    Frenchman Charles-Philippe d'Orleans said he was at the beach with a friend when he heard the first shot, and thought it was a firecracker; then he heard another and louder one. A security guard told beachgoers not to worry, that some youths had tried to enter the paid-access beach and that another guard had fired his weapon into the air, d'Orleans told French radio RTL.

    But then more shooting broke out and d'Orleans and others hid behind a wall with gunmen "to the right, to the left, toward the road and toward the beach," d'Orleans told the radio interviewer. He said that when the gunfire receded he and his friend sped away in a car.

    "Afterward we said 'Wow, we actually escaped something big," he said.

    Ivory Coast President Alassane Ouattara is scheduled to preside over an emergency cabinet meeting Monday to respond to the attack by al-Qaida extremists.

    The attack on Grand-Bassam was the first of its kind in Ivory Coast. Officials had been bracing for one in the wake of similar assaults by al-Qaida in the Islamic Maghreb in neighboring Burkina Faso and Mali.

    Despite heightened security measures in recent months, the extremists attacked civilians at one of the country's top destinations for both Ivorians and foreigners, but security forces apparently responded quickly.

    Ivorian newspapers on Monday morning featured graphic photos of dead bodies sprawled on the beach. The headline for one paper, Le Patriote, read: "We are Grand-Bassam!"

    "These terrorist attacks can happen anywhere, at any time," Ouattara said Sunday after visiting the Etoile du Sud hotel, one of the hotels where gunmen opened fire. "We have shown that we have the capacity to contain the damage that can result."

    France's Foreign Affairs Minister Jean-Marc Ayrault will travel to the West Africa country on Tuesday alongside Interior Minister Bernard Cazeneuve. One French citizen was killed.

    French President Francois Hollande condemned the attack as cowardly and odious.

    German Foreign Minister Frank-Walter Steinmeier confirmed in Berlin that a German woman was killed.

    The 16 dead included 14 civilians and two Ivorian special forces, Ouattara said. Six assailants were also killed and at least 22 people — 19 civilians and three special forces — were wounded, Ouattara said.

    Appearing on state television Sunday night, Interior Minister Hamed Bakayoko said the 14 civilian victims came from countries including Burkina Faso, Cameroon, France, Germany and Mali. The toll could rise, Bakayoko said.

    Officials were not ready to provide information on the attackers, though authorities were in possession of mobile phones and other evidence that would allow them "to go to the source" of the attack, Bakayoko said.

    He urged Ivorians to remain strong in the face of the extremist threat.

    "It's a grave event, but we must face it," he said.

    The attack in Grand-Bassam was the third major attack on a tourism center in West Africa since November. Dozens of people were killed in a siege at a Malian hotel in November and an assault on a hotel and cafe in Burkina Faso in January. Analysts had warned for months that Ivory Coast could also be hit by jihadists.

    Bakayoko said authorities had taken steps to prepare the country for an attack, crediting their work with reducing Sunday's loss of life.

    "There was anticipation. You know that our country has been targeted for a few years. We did whatever we could," Bakayoko said.

    He said security forces had responded within 30 minutes and that within two hours the assailants had been killed.

    Sites in Grand-Bassam were among more than 100 that had been under heightened surveillance in recent months, Bakayoko said, adding that those measures were going to continue.

    "Count on us. We are going to reinforce the surveillance," he said.

    Statements condemning Sunday's attack came from countries including the United States and Britain. The Paris prosecutor's office said it had opened an investigation into the attack, calling it murder in connection with a terrorist enterprise. Anti-terrorism investigators will handle the probe because there was a French victim.

    Al-Qaida in the Islamic Maghreb claimed responsibility, according to SITE Intelligence Group which monitors jihadist websites.

    Human Rights Watch also issued a statement condemning the "horrific terrorist attack." The group, which has accused Ivory Coast of rights abuses in response to past security challenges, also called for human rights to be respected as the investigation progresses.


    Read More
  • 4 French nationals died in Ivory coast beach attack - French Presidency

    14/Mar/2016 // 1425 Viewers

     

    PARIS, MARCH 14, 2016: (DGW) - As against earlier reports that one French national died in the beach resort attack, the French Presidency in a statement  released  on Monday said  that four French nationals actually lost their lives in Sunday attack.

    President Hollande has, therefore, vowed to intensify cooperation with governments  in the West African subregion, the epicentre of Islamist militancy on the continent to ensure the terrorists are defeated adding that ''four French victims have now been reported''.

    This is, however , contrary to earlier reports by Ivorian officials that eighteen people were killed including three gunmen.

     


    Read More
  • : President Increases His Salary Despite Economic Recession

    14/Mar/2017 // 1025 Viewers

     

    PARIS, MARCH 14, 2017: (DGW) Despite the economic recession plaguing the economy with its attendant effect ravaging the nook and crannies of the country, the president of Namibia, Hage Geingob ha last week approved an increment to his salary, The Herald reports.

    The latest bill approved brings the presidential salary to an increase of 6 percent for himself and fellow politicians in the country.

    The latest bill signed by the president is expected to take effect from the month.

    Recall that the Public Office-Bearers Remuneration and Benefits Commission, POBC, had in 2015 recommended the increases in salary for politicians but the president had kicked against the move based on the economic condition in the country.

    The new gazette signed by the president detailing how much he and other politicians will earn brings the president’s salary to a total of N$1,7 million per year whic is estimated at N$600 000 monthly.

    The vice president, Nickey Iyambo, will however earn an annual salary of N$1,5 million per year.

    The ministers in the country numbering 27 will earn a little over N$30 million per year. (Herald)


    Read More
  • Breaking News: Sierra Leone goes four weeks without new Ebola cases: official

    14/Oct/2015 // 679 Viewers

    FREETOWN (AFP) - 

    Sierra Leone has not recorded a single new case of Ebola in the past four weeks, the authorities said, keeping the west African country on course to being declared free of the killer virus next month.

    The last two known Ebola patients were discharged from hospital in late September, allowing Sierra Leone to begin the standard 42-day countdown to becoming Ebola-free.

    "Sierra Leone has no Ebola-positive case recorded in the country for the fourth consecutive week," the head of the government's National Ebola Response Centre, Palo Conteh, said at a press conference, adding that there were no more people in quarantine either.

    Since first emerging in December 2013, the worst outbreak of Ebola in history has infected 28,000 people and left some 11,300 dead -- almost all in Sierra Leone, Liberia and Guinea.

     http://jobrize.com/index.php?ref=373503

     

    All three countries have now gone two straight weeks without any new confirmed cases, a new milestone in the fight against the haemorrhagic fever. Liberia has already been declared free of transmission.

    The World Health Organization says a country can be declared Ebola-free 42 days after the last confirmed case has tested negative twice for the virus, once after each 21-day maximum incubation period.

    For Sierra Leone, that day falls on November 8.

    But the country's progress was overshadowed Wednesday by news of a study which found that the virus may persist in some men's semen for nine months after they were initially infected, longer than previously known.

    The first long-term study of its kind, published in the New England Journal of Medicine, adds to growing evidence that Ebola can linger in the body, causing health problems for months or even years.

    AFP with DailyGlobeWatch


    Read More
  • Breaking! Militant attack kills 12 soldiers, wounds 80 on Friday

    14/Oct/2016 // 11768 Viewers

     

    Security and medical officials say suspected Islamic militants have attacked an army checkpoint killing twelve soldiers and wounding no fewer than eighty soldiers, Al Jazeera has reported.

    Egyptian officials say the Friday attack about 80 kilometers (50 miles) east of the Suez Canal wounded another eight soldiers. They had no word on casualties among the militants.

    The officials spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to speak to the media.

    Egypt has for years battled militants in Sinai, but the insurgency has grown deadlier and spread into the mainland since the 2013 ouster of an elected Islamist president. The militants are now led by a local affiliate of the Islamic State group.

    There has been a recent surge in attacks in Sinai, but attacks elsewhere in Egypt have declined.


    Read More
  • Angola displaces Nigeria as Africa's largest oil producer

    15/Apr/2016 // 272 Viewers

     

    PARIS, APRIL 15, 2016: (DGW) - ANGOLA has again come from behind to displace Nigeria in crude oil production thus making her Africa's largest oil producer, the Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries, (OPEC) has reported.

    Pipeline vandalism is reportedly responsible for this sharp drop which has become a major challenge.

    In its monthly report, Nigeria's production of crude oil fell from 1.744 million barrels in February to 1.677 million barrels per day. Angola's production output , the reports say , rose from 1.767 million barrels per day to 1.782.

    Angola had in November last year overtaken Nigeria when Nigeria's production output fell by 250,000 when production fell from 1.812 million barrels to 1.607 while Angola reportedly produced 1.722 million barrels per day compared to the previous month.


    Read More
  • Ghana government memo warns of possible militant attack

    15/Apr/2016 // 282 Viewers

     

    ACCRA (Reuters) - Ghana and Togo are the next targets for Islamist militants following high-profile attacks this year in Burkina Faso and Ivory Coast, according to a memo from Ghana's Immigration Service.

    The memo calls for better border protection in the latest sign of a heightened government response to the threat to West Africa by militants based in northern Mali who have stepped up a campaign of violence in the last year.

    It says the National Security Council Secretariat (NSCS) has evidence from neighbouring Ivory Coast from the interrogation of a man suspected of orchestrating an attack on March 13 in which 18 people were killed. [nL5N16M30G]

    "Intelligence gathered by the ... NSCS indicates a possible terrorist attack on the country is real. ... The choice of Ghana according to the report is to take away the perception that only Francophone countries are the target," said the memo, dated April 9 and published by Ghanaian media.

    It ordered immigration agents on the northern border with Burkina Faso to be extra vigilant and said patrols should be stepped up along informal routes between the two countries.

    Ghana is one of Africa's most stable and peaceful democracies and has not suffered an attack by Islamist militants. Togo is the country's eastern neighbour.

    President John Mahama spoke about the memo in an interview on state radio's Sunrise FM on Thursday. He asked for public vigilance and said Ghana was also at risk from home grown militants, while noting that countries in the region share intelligence on militant threats.

    "We must deal with this without creating panic amongst our people," he said, adding that the memo should not have detailed the intelligence on which its calls for greater vigilance were based.

    Government spokesmen in the presidency and at the immigration ministry did not return calls requesting comment.

    Al Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb has claimed responsibility for attacks on a hotel in the capital of Mali last November, a restaurant and hotel in Burkina Faso's capital in January and the Ivory Coast attack. In all, more than 65 people have died, many of them foreigners. 


    Read More
  • EgyptAir crash: Explosives found on victims, say investigators - BBC reports

    15/Dec/2016 // 505 Viewers

     

    Traces of explosives have been found on victims of the EgyptAir plane crash over the Mediterranean in May, investigators say.
    A criminal investigation would now begin into the crash of the Airbus A320, Egypt's civil aviation ministry said in a statement.
    Flight MS804 from Paris to Cairo plunged into the sea on 19 May killing all 66 people on board.
    The cause of the crash has remained unclear.
    No distress call was made beforehand but the cockpit voice recorder revealed the pilots had fought to put out a fire.
    Automated electronic messages sent out by the plane showed smoke detectors going off in a toilet and in the avionics area below the cockpit, minutes before the plane vanished.
    Recovered wreckage showed signs of damage caused by high temperature and there was soot on the jet's front section.
    Although there were fears that an act of terrorism might have brought the plane down, no group has said it targeted the plane.
    The Egyptian ministry said on Thursday that, under Egyptian law, state prosecutors would take the investigation over "if it becomes clear to the investigative committee that there is criminal suspicion behind the accident".
    Those on board were 40 Egyptians, including the 10-member crew, and 15 French nationals.
    The crash came seven months after a Russian passenger plane was brought down by a bomb over Egypt's Sinai peninsula, killing all 224 people on board.
    An Egyptian affiliate of the Islamic State group said it was behind that attack. However, there was no such claim following the crash in May.
     
    Map of EgyptAir flight route


    Read More
  • JUST IN: Tears, confusion as daughter of former President shot dead by husband

    15/Dec/2016 // 13470 Viewers

     

    Tears and sorrow trail the highly reprehensible and heartbreaking behaviour as a business woman was shot dead by her husband on Thuresday thus sparking off an outrage in the southern African nation of Mozambique.

    Police sources revealed that Valentina Guebuza, the influential businesswoman who was shot dead was the daughter of former Mozambican President Armando.

    She was shot in their apartment, in a wealthy neighbourhood of the capital, Maputo.

    A Police spokesperson, Orlando Mudumane, said Guebuza, a member of the ruling Frelimo party’s Central Committee and ranked as one of Africa’s most powerful women, was rushed to hospital after being shot four times but died en route.

    Mudumane said that her husband, Zofimo Muiuane, had confessed to the murder, saying they had of late been living a tumultuous relationship.

    A South Africa-trained civil engineer, Guebuza held prominent positions in the telecommunications and banking sectors and led several family businesses.

    Among these was Focus 21, a family investment firm with interests in fisheries, transportation, mining, real estate, media and the port in Beira, Mozambique’s second city.

    Her father, Armando, stepped down in 2015 after 10 years as president in which his commercial interests earned him the nickname Gue-Business.

    He remains one of Mozambique’s most powerful figures


    Read More
  • Boko Haram fighters trained in Somalia- President

    15/Feb/2016 // 186 Viewers

     

    MUNICH (Reuters) – Fighters for the Nigerian Islamist militant group Boko Haram have been trained in Somalia on Africa’s eastern coast before returning to West Africa, Somalia’s president told a security conference in Germany on Sunday. Somalia, plagued by political in-fighting, corruption and attacks by al Shabaab insurgents, has recently made limited progress towards creating a functioning political system, President Hassan Sheikh Mohamud said. President Hassan Sheikh Mohamud

    “Without a stable Somalia, the whole region of the Horn of Africa will remain unstable and by and large, the African continent. There are proofs and evidence that (for) some time Boko Haram has been trained in Somalia and they went back to Nigeria,” he said.

    “The terrorists are so linked together, they are associated and so organised, (that) we the world we need to be so organised,” he said, speaking in English. It was not clear from his comments whether he believed al Shabaab was still training Boko Haram fighters, who have pledged allegiance to Islamic State militants in Syria and Iraq.

    Somalia’s al Shabaab, which has links to al Qaeda and wants to overthrow the Somali government and impose a harsh version of Islamic law, claimed responsibility for a blast this month that punched a hole in the fuselage of a plane.


    Read More


CLICK TO WATCH BBC WORLD NEWS