AFP | A cow roams through the dried up Mfolozi River in Ulundi on November 9, 2015 as a severe drought affects South Africa
West African leaders on Monday resolved to meet with Gambian President, Yahya Jammeh, on Wednesday in Banjul to discuss the need for him to respect his country’s constitution.
Nigeria’s Foreign Affairs Minister, Geoffrey Onyeama, made this known in Abuja when he briefed newsmen on the outcome of a meeting of some ECOWAS leaders in Abuja.
The meeting was presided over by President Muhammadu Buhari in his capacity as the mediator in the crisis in The Gambia.
Onyeama told newsmen that the meeting deliberated on the current state of affairs in The Gambia and shared views on the way forward.
Onyeama said: “They deliberated on the current state of affairs in The Gambia and shared views on the way forward.
“They agreed on the determination to resolve The Gambian political crisis in a manner that every step of the way conforms with the constitution of The Gambia and respects the will of the people of The Gambia.
“They expressed particular concern at the deteriorating situation that has been reported in respect of security in The Gambia in particular, the closure of some of the radio stations and media and house arrest that have been taking place and also the refugee situation that is being created with the mass exodus of a large number of people to the interior and to neighbouring countries.
“In view of this, the meeting agreed that a certain number of president’s will visit President Jammeh in The Gambia in two days’ time, and that again will comprise the mediator, President Buhari together with the President of Liberia and hopefully, the President of Sierra-Leone.
“Others on the visit are the co-mediator, the former President of Ghana (John Mahamma) as well as the President of the ECOWAS commission, the Special Representatives of the United Nations and also a representative of the African Union.”
Onyeama said the meeting with Jammeh would take place on Wednesday and that discussions with him would dwell on the need for him to respect the Gambian Constitution.
Those who attended the Abuja meeting included Liberian President, Ellen Johnson-Sirleaf, who is also the chair of the ECOWAS authority; the President of Senegal, Macky Sall; and the former President of Ghana, John Mahama, who is also the co-chair mediator with President Buhari.
The President of the ECOWAS commission and also the Special Representative of the United Nations Secretary-General, Dr. Mohammad Ibn Chambas, also participated in the meeting.
Chambas is also the head of the UN Office for West Africa and the Sahel.
Nigeria’s Chief of Defence Staff, General Gabriel Olonisakin, was at the venue of the meeting, which lasted for about four hours.
N'DJAMENA (AFP) -
Three explosions blamed on the Nigerian jihadist group Boko Haram killed 37 people Saturday in a Chadian city on the shores of Lake Chad, security sources said.
Another 52 people were reportedly wounded in the attacks, one targeting the fish market at Baga Sola and the other two occurring at a refugee camp on the outskirts of the city.
Victims of Garissa shootings number 148 by al-Shabab, April last year
PARIS, JANUARY 11, 2016: (DGW) Lessons and other normal academic activities have begun at Garissa University College which fell prey to gunmen April last year. 148 students were reportedly killed in the cross-border attacks by the Islamist terrorist group al-Shabab.
The academic staff of the university were seen on the campus in the country's north-east which remained closed since the deadly attack was launch and no fewer than 650 students were relocated to a sister campus at Eldoret in western Kenya to continue their studies, DailyGlobeWatch was reliably told.
Speaking to our reporter, some students said the interest to return to campus after the deadly attacks had waned but the authorities are putting everything in place to overcome the security challenge to attract new students.
As of the time of filing this report, only a few students had arrived and seen taking lectures at Business Management Department. However, another source told our reporter that more students are being expected at the beginning of the academic year which commences in September.
Kenya fell to cross-border attacks by the Somali-based Islamist sect al-Shabab in neighbouring Kenya resulting from the country's decision to join the anti-Shabab military campaign in the war-torn Somalia, DailyGlobeWatch understands.
Africa Media Agency
PORT-LOUIS, Mauritius, 11 January 2016,-/African Media Agency (AMA)- ALU , a network of world-class tertiary education institutions offering programs aimed at developing Africa's future leaders, have admitted 180 students from 22 African countries to African Leadership College, its flagship campus in Mauritius.
The Mauritius campus has partnered with Glasgow Caledonian University (GCU), its founding academic partner, who will award the institution's first degrees in Business Management, Computer Science, Social Sciences and Applied Psychology.
Welcoming the students, ALU's founder, Fred Swaniker, said innovation and ingenious transformation are critical if institutions of higher learning in Africa are to play a catalytic development role in the 21st century.
"We are delighted to welcome these young bright minds to the ALU community. We have no doubt of their will, ability and passion to bring to reality our long-sought after dream of a prosperous Africa. ALU recognises the imperative for innovation in making institutions of higher education in Africa relevant and efficient in meeting today's development needs. ALU's model combines a bespoke technology platform, rigorous teaching methods and a world-class curriculum into a unique hybrid of a virtual and 'brick and mortar' educational experience to develop the skills and mindsets necessary for Africa's transformation in the 21st century."
ALU's curriculum is deliberately designed to train students in critical leadership skills, expose them to the real world of work, and deepen their personal and intellectual growth. In their first year, students undertake what is called the Foundation Core, a programme made of four key courses - Communicating for Impact, Data and Decisions, Projects, and Entrepreneurial Leadership. The courses equip students with fundamental skills essential to success in leadership. These include critical thinking, quantitative reasoning, effective communication, managing complex tasks and providing leadership to teams in the context of complex systems. Each year, students undertake a 4-month internship program at leading organisations in the private and public sector to accelerate their mastery of skills learnt in class.
Swaniker further comments on the role of tertiary education institutions in driving Africa's development:
"The end of major conflicts in Africa, reforms in governance and economic management, and a decade of steady economic growth now puts Africa on a promising growth trajectory. Whether this growth plateaus or translates to economic take-off entirely depends on the quality of leadership Africa produces. ALU's mission is to grow a critical mass of high calibre, capable and ethical leaders to underwrite Africa's transformation. Our resource constraints today mean that to be prosperous, Africa must do more, with less, and faster than everyone else. The answer here is innovation."
ALU's Mauritius campus, African Leadership College, was inaugurated in August last year by H.E. John Mahama, President of Ghana, and Xavier-Luc Duval, Deputy Prime Minister of Mauritius. Graça Machel, an accomplished Mozambican leader, international advocate for women and children's rights, and social activist, is the inaugural Chancellor of the institution. Machel is also the former First Lady of Mozambique and South Africa.
Luanda (AFP) - Angola's powerful veteran President Jose Eduardo dos Santos, Africa's second-longest serving leader after 36 years at the helm, on Friday said he would leave politics in 2018, after his current mandate ends.
"I have taken the decision to quit political life in 2018," he told the ruling Popular Movement for the Liberation of Angola (MPLA) party politburo in the capital Luanda.
The 73-year-old has been in office just one month less than Africa's record-holder, Equatorial Guinea's Teodoro Obiang Nguema.
The Angolan leader's tenure ends in late 2017, but he did not indicate why he would leave the year after. Analysts suggest he may run for re-election, leaving only once he feels secure about the future.
In power for almost four decades as president, dos Santos has consolidated political power in his time in office while his family has amassed a vast business empire.
He added another five years to his reign by taking a large victory in a disputed election in 2012, but since has faced growing discontent from the nation's youth.
Critics accuse dos Santos of overseeing corruption, misrule, arbitrary arrests and intimidation.
Paula Roque, expert researcher on Angola with Oxford University, believes that the unexpected announcement offers "no assurance that one of Africa longest heads of state will finally step down."
"What he is saying by announcing that he will step down in 2018 is that he will run in the next poll and then decide if the country is stable enough to step down," said Roque.
Dos Santos came to power in 1979, following the unexpected death from cancer of Angola's liberation president Agostinho Neto.
As head of the military, police and cabinet, the leader has an iron grip on all aspects of power in Africa's second biggest oil producer.
He names the senior judges and has MPLA allies in all public agencies, including the supposedly independent electoral commission.
Roque believes that Dos Santos could be grooming one of his children to succeed him.
Few publicly criticise him. Independent journalists who express their opinions risk criminal charges.
A group of youth activists are currently standing trial on charges of "rebellion" and attempting to carry out a "coup".
Although he shuns the spotlight, the elderly leader's family has built up a vast business empire, with his daughter Isabel dos Santos ranked Africa's richest woman.
Despite the country's oil and diamond riches, the majority of the population live in abject poverty, with an enormous gap between the rich and poor.
Angola in 2002 emerged from a 27-year civil war which left hundreds of people dead, and the country has held few elections since independence from Portugal in 1975.
Irked by power-drunk syndrome of leaders across the world especially in black Africa, the United Nations has taken a step to put a stop to it by issuing a stern warning to President Pierre Nkurunziza to reverse any attempt to seek a fourth term in office.
The UN says he risks undermining collective efforts to find a sustainable solution to the political crisis in Burundi, says the Special Adviser to the UN Secretary-General for Conflict Prevention, Jamal Benomar.
Benomar spoke while presenting the Secretary-General’s Report on Burundi to the Security Council just as he expressed concern about the worsening human rights situation in the country.
The senior UN official, warned that political crisis in Burundi has continued to deepen amid serious human rights violations, mass displacements of people and economic degradation.
The Office of the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) had documented allegations of extrajudicial killings, arbitrary arrests and forced disappearances, as well as cases of torture and ill-treatm0ent, he said.
Benomar added that there had been more than 210 cases of enforced disappearances between October 2016 and January 2017.
According to him, many live in fear of the Imbonerakure, the ruling party’s youth militia.
“On the humanitarian front, the number of people needing assistance in 2016 had reached three million – or 26 per cent of the population – and there had been a four-fold increase in the number of those who were food insecure.
“Some 8.2 million people – or 75 per cent of the population – were affected by malaria, he said, adding that almost 390,000 Burundians had fled the country since the start of the crisis.”
He said the interim report of the internal dialogue led by the Government-established National Commission for Inter-Burundian Dialogue was close to completion had reached a number of conclusions that could undermine the Arusha Agreement.
According to Benomar, the interim report states that the majority of citizens demanded an end to presidential term limits and favoured amendment of the Constitution, which opposition and civil society groups rejected.
Benjamin Mkapa, East African Community Facilitator of the Inter-Burundi Dialogue and former President of the United Republic of Tanzania, said he had worked to bring the parties together to resume “the spirit and dictates” of the Arusha Agreement and the Constitution.
While both sides agreed that those instruments must form the basis for progress, the opposition believed the Government had narrowed the political space, Mkapa said.
However, Albert Shingiro, Permanent Representative of Burundi to the UN, rejected some aspects of the report, notably that Nkurunziza would seek a fourth mandate, saying the President was currently exercising his second mandate.
Shingiro alleged “unwise” use of the term “militia” to describe young people affiliated with the ruling party, which was not in line with the language of past UN resolutions.
“The Council had never used that loaded word having previously used the more balanced term ‘youth affiliated with political parties,” he said.
Shingiro had earlier accused the UN of being concerned about Nkurunziza’s fourth term citing presidents in Africa seeking fifth, sixth and seventh terms.
Johannesburg - The ANC wants South Africa to begin the process of withdrawing from the International Criminal Court (ICC) because it believes the ICC has lost its direction, the party's international relations subcommittee chairperson Obed Bapela said on Sunday.
"The principles that led us to be members [of the ICC] remain valid and relevant... however the ICC has lost its direction unfortunately and is no longer pursuing that principle of an instrument that is fair for everybody," Bapela told reporters during a briefing in Midrand where the African National Congress is holding its National General Council meeting.
There were a handful of powerful countries which refused to be ICC members, yet they still had the power to refer matters to the court, Bapela said.
This decision was not selfish and South Africa would continue to carry the flag of human rights and an end to genocide, he said.
"We will always carry the African agenda...understanding that we are in a world where others trample on some of the issues that we stand for.
"South Africa still holds the flag of human rights, we are not lowering it, we will continuously hold it high."
He said, however, that South Africa had thrown its weight into participating in the international sphere, yet some nations only served their own selfish interests.
"They would rather put their own interests first than the world's interests, and as a result of that the commission and the NGC has just confirmed that the national interest policy must be fast-tracked in Parliament so that the nation can comment on it."
ANC Women's League treasurer-general and International Relations Minister Maite Nkoana-Mashabane told reporters the withdrawal process would not be a quick one.
The matter was already on the agenda for the upcoming Assembly of State Parties meeting which would be attended by all ICC members in November. It would also be tabled at the African Union summit to be held in January, she said.
Bashir arrest warrant
On June 15, the High Court had ordered the South African government to arrest Sudanese President Omar al-Bashir when he was in Johannesburg for an African Union summit - but despite the court order, he left the country.
The ICC had issued a warrant of arrest for Bashir, wanting him to stand trial on charges of war crimes and genocide.
The High Court ruled that government had acted unconstitutionally when it did not arrest him.
Three judges of the High Court in Pretoria ruled last month that the Implementation Act did not give heads of state immunity from prosecution on criminal charges.
Mopho Raborife reporting
PARS, DECEMBER 12, 2015: Reports reaching our news desk say no fewer than 17 worshippers were mortally wounded on Saturday when a grenade attack was launched on a mosque in the Ethiopian capital of Adis Ababa, sources disclosed to DailyGlobeWatch.
As of the time of filing this report no group has claimed responsibility for the attack on the Anwar Mosque which is located in the ever busy central Merkato district. There has also not been any reported case of fatalities resulting from the ill-conceived attack.
Ethiopia is noted for its strong and stable government and security forces maintain a tight grip on the east African nation which has a Christian majority and Muslim minority.