• Roli Bode George heads NDLEA as Ahmadu Giade retires

    26/Nov/2015 // 576 Viewers

    Mrs Roli Bode George has been appointed as the acting chairman of the National Drug Law Enforcement Agency as Alhaji Ahmadu Giade retires after 10 years of service in the agency, DailyGlobeWatch has been reliably informed.

    She remains the first woman to be appointed in this capacity which is seen by many as gender balancing in the appointment made so far by the present administration under Muhammadu Buhari.

    Commending the appointment Mrs Tinuade the Chairman of Women Initiative Group expressed satisfaction and sees the appointment as none other than ''redressing the gender imbalance in the recent appointments made by President Muhammadu Buhari.”

    Mrs Roli Bode George is also seen by many who reacted to her appointment as a round peg in a round hole whose competence is not in dispute to pilot the affairs of the anti-drug body.


    Read More
  • 44 vessels coming to berth, NPA says

    26/Nov/2015 // 171 Viewers

    A sum total of 44 vessels is expected to arrive Lagos anytime soon commencing from November 26 to December 18 Nigerian Port Authority disclosed to our reporter in Lagos, Nigeria.

    In its daily Shipping Position, the officials said 15 of the ships being expected have containers on board while 8 will sail in with general cargoes.

    According to the document released to newsmen 12 ships laden with foods such as rice, palm oil, sugar, salt, wheat and 9 other vessels with petrol, diesel and kerosene on board, it said further, would be sailing in soon.

    Meanwhile, 7 other vessels with foods and various cargoes such as rice, crude palm oil, diesel and petrol have arrived and about nosing up to docks.

     

     


    Read More
  • Be patient with Buhari, Water Resources Minister pleads

    26/Nov/2015 // 204 Viewers

    Water Minister Resources, Alhaji Suleiman Adamu has pleaded with Nigerians to be patient with President Muhammadu Buhari who he expressed confidence in to deliver on his political promises to Nigerians.

    While speaking to newsmen today after a stake holder's meeting of the All Progressives' Congress in Dutse, Jigawa State capital, the minister pleaded with Nigerians to be patient adding that President Buhari inherited a lot of problems from the immediate past administration which will take time to address.

    Speaking further in the interview with newsmen, Adamu said everything is being done by the present administration to halt rural-urban migration drift by industrialization. This, he said, will provide youths with employment, create wealth as an antidote to the cause of conflicts in the country.

     


    Read More
  • We give you 2 weeks to end fuel scarcity, Senate orders Buhari

    26/Nov/2015 // 337 Viewers

    The Nigerian senate has issued two weeks ultimatum to President Buhari in his capacity as the Minister of Petroleum to end the ongoing fuel scarcity in the country.

    THE Senate Committee on Petroleum issued this ultimatum today in Abuja, Nigeria's capital. In the past 10 months, the Pipeline Products Marketing Company disclosed that Nigeria has lost over N50 bln resulting from petroleum pipeline across the country which has  been identified  as one of the causes of the ongoing acute fuel scarcity.

    Senator Uche Ekwunife, the committee chairman said the minister of petroleum should as a matter of urgency end the ongoing scarcity and ensure the product is sold to the public N87 per litre which is the government official control price. 

    A visibly worried Senator Ekwunife representing Anambra south under the platform of the People's Democratic Party said this directive has become absolutely necessary considering the untold hardship faced by Nigerians since the fuel scarcity commenced.

    Angered by what he called inaction on the part of the Minister of Petroleum Resources, the Committee Chairman said: ”We are mandating the Minister of Petroleum Resources, the Permanent Secretary and heads of agencies to stop this fuel scarcity in two weeks'' “We are giving a target now,we don’t wan’t to know how you would achieve it. Nigerians want to see an end to this fuel scarcity''., the statement added.


    Read More
  • Boko Haram launches attack in Niger, kills 18

    26/Nov/2015 // 636 Viewers

    News filtering into our news studio says eighteen people have been killed in a late night attack in Wogom village  by Boko Haram insurgents from Nigeria in a cross-border attack.

    ''Many houses totalling 100 were burnt down, over 11 people injured and 18 people killed in the attack'', sources told our reporter in Niamey Thursday.

    ''This is not the first time Boko Haram insurgents would be launching cross-border attacks from Nigeria, many of such cases abound in the not too distant past'', a crestfallen victim told our source.

     

     


    Read More
  • Pope in Africa says dialogue vital to avert violence in God's name

    26/Nov/2015 // 117 Viewers

    By Philip Pullella and George Obulutsa

    NAIROBI (Reuters) - Pope Francis said on Thursday in Kenya, a country that has seen a spate of attacks by Islamist militants, that dialogue between religions in Africa was essential to teach young people that violence in God's name was unjustified.

    Bridging divisions between Muslims and Christians is a main theme of his first tour of the continent that also takes him to Uganda, which like Kenya has seen a number of Islamist attacks, and the Central African Republic, riven by sectarian conflict.

    Starting his first full day in the Kenyan capital, Francis met Muslim and other religious leaders before saying an open-air Mass for tens of thousands of rain-drenched people who sang, danced and ululated as he arrived in an open popemobile.

    "All too often, young people are being radicalised in the name of religion to sow discord and fear, and to tear at the very fabric of our societies," he told about 25 religious leaders.

    Inter-religious dialogue "is not a luxury. It is not something extra or optional, but essential," he told them, stressing that God's name "must never be used to justify hatred and violence."

    He referred to Somalia's al Shabaab Islamists' 2013 attack on Nairobi's Westgate shopping mall and this year's assault on Garissa university. Hundreds of people have been killed in the past two years or so, with Christians sometimes singled out by gunmen.

    The chairman of the Supreme Council of Kenya Muslims, Abdulghafur El-Busaidy, called for cooperation and tolerance. "As people of one God and of this world, we must stand up and in unison," he told the pope.

     

    CONTRASTS

    Francis's African tour is also addressing the continent's fast-growing Catholic population, which is expected to reach half a billion by 2050.

    A third of Kenya's 45 million people are Catholics. Tens of thousands of them gathered in pouring rain from before dawn to attend the pope's open-air Mass in central Nairobi.

    Representatives of Kenya's tribes ascended the papal altar platform to read prayers, their native dress contrasting with that of bishops in Western liturgical vestments just feet away.

    In his homily at the Mass, Francis urged the faithful "to resist practices which foster arrogance in men," speaking in a nation rattled by a series of corruption scandals.

    President Uhuru Kenyatta, a Catholic who attended the Mass, reshuffled his cabinet this week after several ministers were embroiled in graft allegations.

    When not in his popemobile, the pope, who has shunned many of the perks at the Vatican, was driven in a Honda car, starkly different to the Mercedes and other luxury vehicles used by top officials in Kenya where many people live in city slums or villages without electricity.

    Giving his address at Mass in a sodden sports field at Nairobi University, the pope urged youths on a continent with a large young population to resist the "new deserts created by a culture of materialism and indifference" and build a more just society.

     

     

    Source: Reuters


    Read More
  • Authorities in Niger arrest five journalists

    26/Nov/2015 // 151 Viewers

    NIAMEY (Reuters) - Authorities in Niger have arrested five journalists in the latest sign of political tension ahead of elections in February in which President Issoufou Mahamadou will seek a second five-year term.

    Tensions were raised on Nov. 14 when opposition leader Hama Amadou flew back to the country and was arrested. The former speaker of the national assembly and ally of Issoufou is the candidate of the MODEN party at the election.

    Press advocacy group Reporters Without Borders said on Wednesday that Souleymane Salha, publisher of private weekly Le Courrier, was arrested on Monday over a story criticizing the deputy police director over Hama's arrest.

    Police have also arrested four reporters from two television channels who filmed authorities using teargas on stone-throwing protesters during Hama's return, the advocacy group said. Police held them for a day, confiscating equipment and cell phones.

    "We urge the authorities to free Salha at once and stop using preventive detention to intimidate media personnel," said Clea Kahn-Sriber, Africa head for the group. There was no immediate comment from police.

    Twenty media organisations called for a boycott of a state celebration of Niger's National Press Freedom Day on Nov. 30.

    Last month police arrested five reporters covering a student protest. In January, police attacked journalists reporting on demonstrations after Paris's Charlie Hebdo attacks, the group said.

    Hama was arrested on his arrival from Paris in connection with an investigation into a baby-trafficking ring in Nigeria. Hama says the allegations are politically motivated and false.

     

    Source: Reuters


    Read More
  • Breaking News: Again, 240 migrants dead off coast of Libya

    26/Nov/2016 // 392 Viewers

     

    At least 240 migrants drowned off the coast of Libya on Thursday when their boats capsized, according to officials with the United Nations High Commission for Refugees. 

    Survivors relayed the news to officials on the Italian island of Lampedusa, however no bodies have been found. 

    More than 4,000 migrants have died in the Mediterranean Sea this year alone. They often end up on the shores of European nations like Italy and Greece.


    Read More
  • China joins Angola, bans Islam, read and watch video for reasons

    27/Aug/2016 // 1363 Viewers

     

    Angolan authorities took pre-emptive action and decided to ban the Muslim religion, which they consider a cult, NOT a religion. They see what Muslims are doing to non-Muslims, especially in Africa, and are taking steps to prevent the same from happening in Angola.

    In early October 2013, the Muslims living in Luanda in the municipality of Viana Zango were shocked to see the minaret of their mosque dismantled into pieces on the ground without permission. On Thursday 03 October in the morning, the Angolan authorities decided to destroy the mosque Zango located in the urban district of Viana 17 km.

    The governor of Luanda Bento announced in a radio spot that radical Muslims are not welcome in Angola and the Angolan government is not ready for the legalization of mosques in Angola.

    And on Tuesday, November 19, the Minister of Culture, Rosa Cruz e Silva said. “Regarding Islam, the legalization process has not been approved by the Ministry of Justice and Human Rights. Therefore all mosques would be closed until further notice. “ It should be noted that the Angolan government has made closing of all mosques a priority. The only two mosques located in Luanda have already received a warning document signed by the mayor of the municipality of Viana José Moreno.

    The provincial governor of Luanda, Bento Bento, said on the airwaves of local radio that “radical Muslims are not welcome in Angola and the Angolan government is not ready for the legalization of mosques.” Minister of Culture, Rosa Cruz e Silva explained that the law on freedom of religion will be reviewed given the current national context , noting that the Government will redouble its efforts to fight relentlessly against religious cults like Islam which are contrary to the customs of Angolan culture.

    95% of Angola’s population is Christian. A quarter belongs to Protestant churches founded during the colonial period, including congregational evangelical church.

    This decisive action taken by the Angolan head of state is based on a desire to guard against the rise of the Wahhabi ideology that has created havoc, death and destruction in Africa and elsewhere. And as rightly explained Tunisian philosopher Mezri Haddad: “Islamism and Islamophobia feed each other. Worse, long-term Islamism as an ideology destroy Islam as religion. “


    According to the International Religious Freedom Report 2008, Islam in Angola is a minority religion with 80,000 – 90,000 adherents, composed largely of migrants from West Africa and families of Lebanese origin. The Muslims comprise between 2.5 to 3 percent of Angola’s overall population of 17 million people, most of them Christians.

    in the last decade, but especially during the last few years the Muslim community in Angola has grown appreciably and Islamic activities have become more common in major cities. Mosques have sprung up in a number of places and Qur’anic schools have been built to provide Islamic instructions and teach Arabic language to adherents.

    Public attitudes toward Islam have been generally negative. Cultural differences between Angolan and Muslim immigrants have been the basis for negative views toward Islam, as was the perceived link between Islam and illegal immigration. Since the September 11 attacks, there has been a deliberate attempt to link Muslims with terrorism. It has become a matter of routine at Luanda airport for security officers to detain Muslims arriving from Sahelian countries.

    On September 1, 2008, a Muslim mob attacked non-Muslims in the community of Andulo. The school-age daughter of a deacon at one of the churches was decapitated. Forty Christians were assaulted or tortured. The mob burned three church buildings. They also went to non-Muslim houses to intimidate them or destroyed items of property. Stones were thrown at the headquarters of a local Christian project, causing some damage. An Angolan Christian leader said that the local police were unable to stop the attack and fled the scene.

    In early October 2013, the Muslims living in Luanda in the municipality of Viana Zango were shocked to see the minaret of their mosque dismantled into pieces on the ground without permission. On Thursday 03 October in the morning, the Angolan authorities decided to destroy the mosque Zango located in the urban district of Viana 17 km. The governor of Luanda Bento announced in a radio spot that radical Muslims are not welcome in Angola and the Angolan government is not ready for the legalization of mosques in Angola.

    And on Tuesday, November 19, the Minister of Culture, Rosa Cruz e Silva said. “Regarding Islam, the legalization process has not been approved by the Ministry of Justice and Human Rights. Therefore all mosques would be closed until further notice. “ It should be noted that the Angolan government has made closing of all mosques a priority. The only two mosques located in Luanda have already received a warning document signed by the mayor of the municipality of Viana José Moreno.

    The provincial governor of Luanda, Bento Bento, said on the airwaves of local radio that “radical Muslims are not welcome in Angola and the Angolan government is not ready for the legalization of mosques.” Minister of Culture, Rosa Cruz e Silva explained that the law on freedom of religion will be reviewed given the current national context , noting that the Government will redouble its efforts to fight relentlessly against religious cults like Islam which are contrary to the customs of Angolan culture.

    95% of Angola’s population is Christian. A quarter belongs to Protestant churches founded during the colonial period, including congregational evangelical church.

    This decisive action taken by the Angolan head of state is based on a desire to guard against the rise of the Wahhabi ideology that has created havoc, death and destruction in Africa and elsewhere. And as rightly explained Tunisian philosopher Mezri Haddad: “Islamism and Islamophobia feed each other. Worse, long-term Islamism as an ideology destroy Islam as religion. “

    According to the International Religious Freedom Report 2008, Islam in Angola is a minority religion with 80,000 – 90,000 adherents, composed largely of migrants from West Africa and families of Lebanese origin. The Muslims comprise between 2.5 to 3 percent of Angola’s overall population of 17 million people, most of them Christians.

    in the last decade, but especially during the last few years the Muslim community in Angola has grown appreciably and Islamic activities have become more common in major cities. Mosques have sprung up in a number of places and Qur’anic schools have been built to provide Islamic instructions and teach Arabic language to adherents.

    Public attitudes toward Islam have been generally negative. Cultural differences between Angolan and Muslim immigrants have been the basis for negative views toward Islam, as was the perceived link between Islam and illegal immigration. Since the September 11 attacks, there has been a deliberate attempt to link Muslims with terrorism. It has become a matter of routine at Luanda airport for security officers to detain Muslims arriving from Sahelian countries.

    On September 1, 2008, a Muslim mob attacked non-Muslims in the community of Andulo. The school-age daughter of a deacon at one of the churches was decapitated. Forty Christians were assaulted or tortured. The mob burned three church buildings. They also went to non-Muslim houses to intimidate


    Read More
  • Benin prime minister unhurt after helicopter crash

    27/Dec/2015 // 569 Viewers

                        Benin Prime Minister, Lionel Zinsou

     

    (AFP) - Benin Prime Minister Lionel Zinsou emerged unscathed after a helicopter he was travelling in crash-landed in the country’s northwest, an official said Sunday.

    The incident occurred on Saturday at a stadium in Djougou but there were no casualties.

    “The prime minister was on board at the time of the crash-landing … happily he emerged safe and sound,” a source in the Beninese presidency told AFP.

    “My father is well. There are no victims of the helicopter crash in Djougou. Thank you for your messages,” added Zinsou’s daughter Marie-Cecile on Twitter.

    An investigation has been opened into the circumstances leading to the incident, police said.

    Zinsou, a former banker who holds both French and Beninese nationality, has said he will run as the ruling party’s candidate for a presidential election scheduled to in February.

     

    Source: (AFP)


    Read More












web counter