• Ghana: Public officials cut down to size by ban on first class travels

    22/Dec/2015 // 179 Viewers

                                     John Dramani Mahama, President of Ghana


    ACCRA, DECEMBER 22, 2015: (DGW): Ghanian President, John Dramani Mahama has placed a ban on first class travels for public officials, Minister of Communications, Mr Edward Boamah  disclosed to our reporter Tuesday in Accra, Ghana.

    This ban has become necessary seeing that it is a major weapon the opposition is campaigning with against the ruling party as presidential and parliamentary elections  are  billed to hold  next year, DailyGlobeWatch understands. 

    In a statement, the presidency directed that top government officials embarking on unwarranted  foreign trips at the expense of government to forget it as the government can no longer finance such trips.

    As this comes into force Ghana would be discussing Financial Accountability Bill which will impose penalties bordering on jail term for violators, our source further revealed.

    Meanwhile, the West African state has been enjoined to fix its economy by the International Monetary fund and this has in earnest commenced since April this year following high deficits amid a widening public debt and unstable local currency.

     

     

     

     

     


    Read More
  • 'We are at war with the extremists; we remain unbowed', President Kenyanta says in a memorial

    22/Jan/2016 // 241 Viewers

     

    PARIS, JANUARY 22, 2016: (DGW) - General Abas Ibrahim of the Somalian Army said Kenya troops in the country were warned of an impending al-Shabab attack on their base 45 days before it was launched that killed no fewer than 100 Kenyan soldiers, DailyGlobeWatchhas reliably gathered.

    That episode remained the deadliest attack on Kenya's army although at the time of filing this report the Kenyan military has not made any disclosure regarding the death toll of their fallen soldiers in the country. However, reliable sources told our reporter that the bombs used in the attacks on Kenyan military base  three times outpower the ones used in 1998 American Embassy attacks in Nairobi, Kenya's capital city and no fewer than 224 people were killed in that ill-conceived attacks, DailyGlobeWatch understands.

    President  Uhuru Kenyata was quoted as saying during a memorial service held in honour of the slain soldiers 'we are at war with the extremists, terrorists and it is a war we must win. We remain unbowed''.

    Speaking further, Mr Kenyatta told the audience which was well-attended by the families of the victims that the attack was launched by a buildup of militants in the area which also  foreshadows future attacks and that Kenyan forces will henceforth intensify efforts on intelligence gathering to forestall similar incident in future while the war with the extremists continues.

    His words, "We were told that al-Shabab was bringing fighters from all over the regions in south Somalia - from Gedo region, Middle and Lower Shabelle and Juba. They were very strong."


    Read More
  • Al Shabaab militants launch deadly restaurant attack in Somali capital Mogadishu

    22/Jan/2016 // 203 Viewers

     

    (AP) - Somalia's security forces ended a deadly siege of a beachfront restaurant in the capital, with more than 20 people killed in the attack, a police official said Friday.
     
    The security forces took control of the restaurant just before dawn, said Capt. Mohamed Hussein, speaking from the scene of the attack in Mogadishu.
     
    It was not clear whether Hussein's report of more than 20 killed included the assailants.
     
    Blasts and bursts of gunfire could be heard as Somali special forces went from room to room pursuing the al-Shabab gunmen who were holed up inside the restaurant.
     
    Hussein said the security forces rescued many people who had been trapped inside the restaurant's hall, where a party was taking place when the attack started on Thursday.
     
    Witnesses said that gunmen shouted "Allahu akbar," the Arabic phrase for "God is great," and entered the restaurant from the direction of the beach as clients, sitting behind razor wire, watched the seashore.
     
    "They randomly fired at people sitting near the beach before entering the restaurant," said witness Ahmed Nur, who was strolling along the shoreline when the attack happened.
     
    Islamic extremist group al-Shabab claimed responsibility for the attack, in a broadcast on its online radio late Thursday.
     
    Al-Shabab attacked Kenyan peacekeepers in southwestern Somalia last week. The al-Qaida-linked group said it had killed about 100 Kenyans and seized weapons and military vehicles. The Kenyan government has given no death toll, but said there were some fatalities.
     
    Despite being pushed out of Somalia's major cities and towns, al-Shabab continues to launch deadly guerrilla attacks across the Horn of Africa country. African Union troops, government officials and foreigners are frequently targeted.
     
     


    Read More
  • Breaking: Sit-tight syndrome over as AU, ECOWAS backed by UN Security Council could now unseat leaders by troops to enforce fair election results

    22/Jan/2017 // 2748 Viewers

     

    PARIS, JANUARY 22, 2016: (DGW) THE United Nations Security Council has sent a strongly-worded message to West Africa and indeed all of Africa that it is not going to be business as usual in a bid to protect democracy on the continent, BBC West Africa correspondent, Thomas Fessy has reported.

    The message states that ECOWAS and indeed the African Union backed by the United Nations Security Council would henceforth send troops or intervention force to enforce fair election results in the event of reported irregularities in any electoral process.

    According to him, this option was deemed absolutely necessary to check the sit-tight syndrome by African leaders that has often plunged countries on the continent into political crises.


    Read More
  • Partial Niger election results show president heading for big win

    22/Mar/2016 // 171 Viewers

     

    NIAMEY (Reuters) - Niger's President Mahamadou Issoufou is heading for a crushing victory in a run-off election that became a near-formality when the opposition coalition declared a boycott, partial results on Tuesday showed.

    With 226 constituencies counted from a total of 308, Issoufou received 93 percent of Sunday's vote, according to the national electoral commission. Turnout was around 61 percent.

    Issoufou, an ally of the West in its fight against Islamist insurgents in West Africa, won the first round comfortably last month with 48 percent of votes but failed to clinch the outright majority required to avoid a second round.

    The candidate who came second, opposition leader Hama Amadou, has been in jail since November on charges relating to a baby-trafficking scandal, but was flown to France for medical treatment last week.

    Amadou says he is innocent and claims the charges against him are politically motivated.

    The Coalition for an Alternative (COPA), which unites about 20 political parties including Amadou's MODEN, called for a boycott of the polls, claiming the process had been tainted by fraud.

    Southern Niger, which borders Nigeria, has been the target of frequent deadly raids by Islamist Boko Haram militants.

    It also shares borders with Burkina Faso and Mali to the west, where al Qaeda-linked groups are active. Libya, home to Islamic State affiliates, lies on its northern border.


    Read More
  • South African police fire stun grenades as students march on parliament

    22/Oct/2015 // 209 Viewers

    Rodger Bosch, AFP | Students from the University of Cape Town clash with South African police after they forced their way into the parliament complex in Cape Town on October 21, 2015.


    South African riot police fired stun grenades on Wednesday at hundreds of protesting students who stormed the parliament precinct in Cape Town to try to disrupt the reading of Finance Minister Nhlanhla Nene's interim budget.

    As chaos erupted around the building, Nene, standing calmly at the podium inside the chamber, read his speech, which gave a gloomy outlook for Africa's most advanced economy.

    The speech was delayed by 45 minutes as MPs from the opposition Economic Freedom Fighters (EFF) party raised questions of order, arguing the budget should be delayed because of student protests over planned increases in 2016 tuition fees.

    Scuffles broke out as parliamentary security guards were called in to forcibly remove the EFF members.

    At that point, hundreds of students demanding the government scrap the planned tuition hike stormed the parliament compound.

    "We were pushed back by police with force. The stun grenade was shot right next to my ear. I still have the buzzing in my ear," said Motheo Lengoasa, a student at University of Cape Town, as others chanted and sang songs demanding lower fees.

    Earlier she had lain prostate on the ground in front of the entrance to the National Assembly where Nene was speaking.

    "This looks like 1976 all over again," she said, referring to the Soweto uprising where police killed at least 69 students who were protesting plans to teach them in Afrikaans.

    When higher education minister Blade Nzimande tried to address the students, they waved placards saying, "Fees must fall, education for all" and "Blade must go."

    Student revolt

    President Jacob Zuma, who wore a stony expression through Nene's speech, has not commented on the protests, some of them violent, that have disrupted at least 14 of South Africa's universities in the past week. Many students have no personal recollection of apartheid and thus little emotional allegiance to the ruling African National Congress.

    South African universities initially wanted to increase tuition fees by up to 11.5 percent, prompting students to launch their campaign on Oct. 13.

    Critics have said the increase would further disadvantage black students, who are already relatively under-represented.

    The protesters, who included white students, have rejected a proposal from some student leaders, university heads and Higher Education Minister Blade Nzimande to cap fee increases at 6 percent for 2016, just above inflation.

    Three students were hurt during a rally in the Eastern Cape as protesters threw stones and burned tyres and police fired rubber bullets and stun grenades. It was not clear what caused their injuries.

    University bosses said the increases were needed to maintain standards and they urged the government to find the extra funding. The government, which pays subsidies to universities, said it could not afford to pay for free education as demanded by the students, who chanted "Zero, Zero, Zero", referring to fees.

    Government bonds fell sharply and the rand weakened more than 1.5 percent as the chaos erupted.

    "We need to find a sustainable way of dealing with the issue of financing education in general ... We do need to find a solution," Nene told reporters before reading his budget speech.

    Nene later told Reuters in an interview that a process to take money from other skills development funds and move them to university education was already under way.

    In his budget, he trimmed his deficit estimate for the year 2015/16 to 3.8 percent of gross domestic product (GDP) from 3.9 percent forecast in February, forecasting a 3.3 percent gap in 2016/17 and 3 percent in 2018/19.

    Nene told parliament the economic growth forecast for 2015 had been cut to 1.5 percent from 2.0 percent forecast in February due to "electricity supply constraints, falling commodity prices and lower confidence levels."

    "Leaving aside the politically-motivated drama from the EFF ... at first sight the news is still negative. Growth forecasts were revised down as expected," said Razia Khan, chief economist, Africa at Standard Chartered Bank.

    (REUTERS with DAILYGLOBEWATCH)


    Read More
  • Pix of the iconic former President Jonathan in Tanzania to observe the presidential election.

    22/Oct/2015 // 549 Viewers

    In his capacity as the Chairman of Commonwealth Observer Group, former President Jonathan of Nigeria is presently in the east African nation of Tanzania to monitor the country's presidential election billed for Sunday, October 25. See pix below: 

    GEJ8

    Ahead of the hotly contested Sunday's Presidential election the former Nigerian leader however advised the presidential aspirants to respect the supreme wishes of the people in the event of defeat in order to move their great country forward.

     

     

     

     

     


    Read More
  • Breaking News! Tragedy as train derails, 73 dead, 600 injured

    22/Oct/2016 // 1754 Viewers

     


    PARIS, OCTOBER 22, 2016: (DGW) NO  fewer than seventy-three people were killed on Saturday when an overloaded train derailed with dead bodies strewn on rail tracks, Fox News has reported. The train mishap happened in Cameroon which attracted rescued workers  and hospital staff.

    Fox News further reported that officials initially put the death tool at 53 while more than 600 people were reported injured and were thereafter taken to hospitals in the capital, Yaounde, and the port city where the train was going, Douala.

    Rescue workers did not readily open up to the press as one of them who later spoke on condition of anonymity said existing laws barred them from speaking to the press.

    According to Fox News, the train carried about 1,300 passengers, instead of its capacity of 600. The passenger load was higher because a road had collapsed due to landslides following heavy rains between Yaounde and Douala.

    The 30-year-old railway line and train could not carry the load, officials told state radio.

    President Paul Biya ordered the evacuation of the injured to the country's two main cities because Eseka's hospital was overwhelmed, with only about 60 beds, said transport minister Edgard Alain Mebe Ngo'o.

    "I am calling on everyone to double efforts to save the lives of the injured," Ngo'o said.

    One of those injured died as he arrived in Douala, and "we are doing everything possible to save the lives of the close to 200 victims sent to Douala," said Governor Ivaha Diboua Dieudonne of the western Littoral region.

    The circumstances that led to the accident will be investigated, government spokesman Issa Tchiroma said.


    Read More
  • Somalia bans Christmas and New Year festivities

    23/Dec/2015 // 253 Viewers

     AFP | Somalia's government says Christmas festivities might attract Islamist attacks

    MOGADISHU (AFP) - Somalia's government has banned celebrations of Christmas and New Year in the Muslim majority country, saying the festivities might attract Islamist attacks.

    "All events related to Christmas and New Year celebrations are contrary to Islamic culture, which could damage the faith of the Muslim community," the director general of the religious affairs ministry told reporters on Tuesday.

    Sheikh Mohamed Khayrow said security forces had been ordered to break up any such celebrations. "There should be no activity at all," he said.

    Sheikh Nur Barud Gurhan, of the Supreme Religious Council of Somalia, said that non-Muslim festivities might provoke the ire of the Shebab, East Africa's Al-Qaeda branch, which is headquartered in Somalia.

    "We are warning against the celebration of such events which are not relevant to the principles of our religion," Gurhan added, saying it could provoke the Shebab "to carry out attacks".

    Last year Shebab militants launched a Christmas attack on Mogadishu airport that killed at least 12 people.

    Somalia is at least the second Muslim majority country to ban Christmas this year, after Brunei announced a similar prohibition. Somalia also issued a previous ban in 2013.

    Somalia also follows the Islamic calendar that does not recognise January 1 as the beginning of the year.

    There are almost no Christians left living in Somalia, although a bombed-out Italian-built Catholic cathedral remains a city landmark in the capital Mogadishu.

    Foreign diplomats, aid workers and soldiers living in the fortified airport compound are permitted to hold private parties.

     

     

     AFP


    Read More
  • Breaking: Libya plane diverted to Malta in ‘potential hijack’ with 118 aboard

    23/Dec/2016 // 453 Viewers

     

    LONDON — An apparently hijacked Libyan passenger plane landed on the Mediterranean island of Malta on Friday, with local media reporting that 118 people were aboard.

    The Times of Malta and other outlets reported that two hijackers had threatened to blow up the Afriqiyah Airways Airbus A320, which was on a domestic flight in Libya when it diverted to Malta.

    The Maltese prime minister, Joseph Muscat, tweeted: “Informed of potential hijack situation of a #Libya internal flight diverted to #Malta. Security and emergency operations standing by.”

    He later added that the flight had taken off from the Libyan city of Sabha, and was due to land in the capital, Tripoli. But the flight was "diverted" to Malta. He said that security services were "coordinating operations."

    If the reports of a hijacking prove true, it would bring another security crisis to the European Union just days after an attack on a Berlin Christmas market killed 12 people. Malta, a tiny nation of less than half a million people, is a member of the European Union. The main suspect in the Berlin attack, a Tunisian, was killed Friday in a shootout with Italian police.

    Malta lies south of Sicily, about 300 miles from the Libyan coast. Libya has been embroiled in civil war since a 2011 uprising deposed longtime dictator Moammar Gaddafi. - Washington Post


    Read More












web counter