• 12 killed as bomb blast rocks court, injured others

    02/Sep/2016 // 3577 Viewers

     

    The bodies of lawyers, policemen and civilians were recovered from the blast site, said Haris Habib, chief rescue officer in a bomb attack that created a scene of sorrow, tears , and blood  carried out by a terrorist group - Jamaatu-ur-Ahrar.

    The attack reportedly took place  in the city of Mardan in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province, Pakistan. In another attack in Pakistan, two bombs killed at least 12 people and wounded dozens outside a court complex in Mardan, Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province, a rescue official said, hours after militants from a Pakistani Taliban faction attacked a Christian neighbourhood in the same region.

    Pakistani Taliban faction Jamaat-ur-Ahrar claimed responsibility for the twin bomb attacks.

    The bodies of lawyers, policemen and civilians were recovered from the blast site, said Haris Habib, chief rescue officer in the city of Mardan in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province. “First there was a small blast followed by a big blast,” Habib told Reuters.

    More than 20 people were killed in an attack in December on a government office in Mardan, which was later claimed by Jamaat-ur-Ahrar, a breakaway faction of the Pakistani Taliban. No militant group has yet claimed responsibility for Friday’s court attack, but Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif said the bombing would “not shatter our unflinching resolve in our war against terrorism”. “These receding elements are showing frustration by attacking our soft targets. They shall not get space to hide in Pakistan,” Sharif said in a statement.

     


    Read More
  • Pyongyang calls UN bluff after new sanctions, fires projectiles into Sea of Japan

    03/Mar/2016 // 305 Viewers

     

    PARIS, MARCH 3, 2016: (DGW) - Not deterred by the sanctions on the country, the hermit kingdom of North Korea has again fired several short-range projectiles into the sea on Thursday, South Korea defence ministry has reported.

    This is coming after the United Nations Security Council voted and imposed new sanctions on the isolated state. The projectiles DailyGlobeWatch gathered were fired into the Sea of Japan at about 10:00 am North Korea local time.

    Be that as it may, sources told our reporter that South Korea is closely monitoring the situation as no movement by the isolated rogue regime in Pyongyang is ever made light of as the defence ministry is reportedly analysing the exact nature of the projectiles.

     

     

     

     

     


    Read More
  • Death toll jumps to nine in Kunduz hospital bombing: MSF

    03/Oct/2015 // 266 Viewers

    KABUL (AFP) - 

    The death toll from a suspected US air strike on a hospital in the Afghan city of Kunduz jumped to nine Saturday, with 37 others wounded and many still unaccounted for, Doctors Without Borders said.

    "It is with deep sadness that we confirm so far the death of nine MSF staff during the bombing... of MSF's hospital in Kunduz," the medical charity said in a statement.


    Read More
  • Ad-driven Scorsese film premieres in S. Korea

    03/Oct/2015 // 300 Viewers

    Getty/AFP/File / by Mathew Scott | Martin Scorsese, pictured in New York on October 1, 2015, was criticised for making openly commercial references in his 16-minute film 'The Audition', which premiered at the Busan Film Festival

     

    BUSAN (SOUTH KOREA) (AFP) - 

    Oscar-winning director Martin Scorsese's new film finally premiered at the Busan International Film Festival on Saturday after being pulled from the programme in Venice and amid criticism of its commercial nature.

    The 16-minute film, titled "The Audition" and starring Robert De Niro, made its world debut in an inconspicuous cinema tucked away at the back of a South Korean shopping mall.

    The idea for the film was conceived by Australian playboy billionaire James Packer and his business partner Lawrence Ho to promote Studio City, the US$3.2 billion Hollywood-inspired casino the pair?s Melco Crown Entertainment are building in the Chinese enclave of Macau, and another similar project titled City of Dreams being built in Manila.

    With lingering shots of the attractions that will be on offer at the properties when they open, the film doesn't shy away from openly commercial references.

    But the cast plays up to the conceit, playing obviously exaggerated versions of themselves, including Scorsese, with the director leading the premise that he has them all vying for the one role in some imagined new production.

    Elizabeth Kerr, The Hollywood Reporter?s reviewer in Busan, summed the experience up by saying the film was "keenly self aware."

     

    - Mystery project -

     

    Performances by De Niro, Leonardo DiCaprio and Brad Pitt ensured a full house at the 10 am screening of the Busan International Film Festival's Short Film Showcase programme.

    There had been an air of mystery surrounding the project ever since it was announced in 2014, due to its rumoured subject matter and the origins of the project.

    It had been scheduled to show first at the Venice Film Festival and was one of the event's most hotly anticipated screenings, but it was pulled from the programme at the last moment due to "technical problems", according to a statement released by festival organisers. They had earlier defended showing such a commercially influenced production.

    "It's a Scorsese film, not a commercial. The casino paid for the film, but it's not in the film at all," Venice director Alberto Barbera told The Hollywood Reporter earlier this year.

    US media estimated the film cost $70 million to produce with each actor paid around $13 million to appear, but this has been denied by Melco Crown.

    BIFF programmer Pak Dosin had earlier told AFP his festival had first been approached by the film's Hong Kong-based representative in May, asking if he might be interested in screening it.

    He insisted the film had been chosen on its merits and that he "liked it very much."

    The last Scorsese film to screen at BIFF was "Taxi Driver", which formed part of a retrospective programme in 2009.

    Scorsese and De Niro are long time collaborators and have had a number of hits together including 1995 drama "Casino". The director also regularly works with DiCaprio.

    Tongues first started wagging about the nature of the film after a brief trailer -- which revealed De Niro and DiCaprio arriving at a casino, scripts in hand and apparently ready to audition for the same role in a Scorsese production -- found its way on the YouTube in January but was soon pulled from the site.

    The Busan festival continues until October 10.

    by Mathew Scott


    Read More
  • Kunduz hospital bombing continued 30 min after US informed: MSF

    03/Oct/2015 // 296 Viewers

    KABUL (AFP) -
    The fatal aerial bombardment Saturday of a hospital in the Afghan city of Kunduz went on more than 30 minutes after officials in Washington and Kabul were informed, Doctors Without Borders said.
     
    "The bombing continued for more than 30 minutes after American and Afghan military officials in Kabul and Washington were first informed," the medical charity said in a statement.
     
    It added that "all parties to the conflict, including in Kabul and Washington, were clearly informed of the precise location (GPS coordinates) of the MSF facilities".


    Read More
  • Bizarre! Police arrest, detain PIGEON for carrying deadly warning note

    03/Oct/2016 // 1057 Viewers

     

    PARIS, OCTOBER 3, 2016: (DGW) Reports coming in have it that a pigeon has been arrested and detained   after it was found to be carrying a warning note in  a heavy militarized border with Pakistan, India Police source has said on Monday.

    The warning note to Prime Minister Narendra of India  Border Security Forces say found the bird  at Pathankot in the northern state of Punjab, where Pakistan-based militants launched a deadly attack on an airforce base in January.

    “We took it into custody last evening,” Pathankot police inspector Rakesh Kumar told AFP by telephone.

    “The BSF found it with a note in Urdu saying something like ‘Modi, we’re not the same people from 1971. Now each and every child is ready to fight against India’,” Kumar said.

    The neigbours fought their third and last full-blown war in 1971.

    The note was apparently signed by the Pakistan-based militant group Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT) “so we are investigating the matter very seriously”, Kumar said.

    It is not the first time birds have become embroiled in the often deadly decades-old rivalry between the two nuclear-armed nations.

    But it comes as tensions escalate over a raid on an Indian army base in Kashmir two weeks ago that New Delhi blamed on the same militant group held responsible for the attacks in January.

    Last week, India’s military hit militants across the de-facto border dividing disputed Kashmir, in a rare move that sparked fury from Islamabad.

    Two balloons were also recently found in Punjab with similar messages addressed to Modi in Urdu.

    Last year, Indian police seized a pigeon on suspicion it was being used for espionage by Pakistan and also X-rayed it to check for any spy camera, transmitter or hidden chip.

    In 2013, Indian security forces found a dead falcon fitted with a small camera, and in 2010 another pigeon was detained over spying fears.

    SOURCE: AFP


    Read More
  • China makes it to the dark side of the moon

    04/Feb/2016 // 297 Viewers

     

    PARIS, FEBRUARY 4, 2016: (DGW) - China galloping ahead of other countries in the race to lead the planetary war and possibly develop new technologies has broken the record by being the first country to reach the dark side of the moon.

    The Chinese made their maiden appearance on the moon in 1976 and it has again set to launch a flying object to the moon in 2018.

    The dark side has never been beneath the feet of man but as you can see from the picture above is a Chinese astronaut on the dark side of the moon hoisting the Chinese flag.


    Read More
  • N. Korea leader orders nuclear arsenal on standby

    04/Mar/2016 // 1359 Viewers

     

    Seoul (AFP) - Leader Kim Jong-Un has ordered North Korea's nuclear arsenal to be ready for pre-emptive use "anytime," in an expected ramping up of rhetoric following the UN Security Council's adoption of tough new sanctions on Pyongyang.

     

    "We must always be ready to fire our nuclear warheads at any time," Kim was quoted as saying by the North's official KCNA news agency on Friday.

    Kim also warned that the situation on the divided Korean peninsula had become so dangerous that the North needed to shift its military strategy to one of "pre-emptive attack".

    Such bellicose rhetoric is almost routine for North Korea at times of elevated tensions.

    While the North is known to have a small stockpile of nuclear warheads, experts are divided about its ability to mount them on a working missile delivery system.

    According to KCNA, Kim made his comments while monitoring the test firing of a new, high-calibre multiple rocket launcher on Thursday, just hours after the UN Security Council unanimously adopted the resolution penalising the North for its recent nuclear test and long-range rocket launch.

    South Korea's defence ministry said the North had fired half a dozen rockets about 100-150 kilometres (60-90 miles) into the sea off its eastern coast on Thursday.

    In a clear threat to neighbouring South Korea, Kim said the new rocket launcher should be "promptly deployed" along with other newly developed weaponry.

    "At an extreme time when the Americans... are urging war and disaster on other countries and people, the only way to defend our sovereignty and right to live is to bolster our nuclear capability," Kim said.

    The US-drafted UN resolution adopted by the Security Council late Wednesday laid out the toughest sanctions imposed on Pyongyang to date over its nuclear weapons programme that will, if implemented effectively, apply significant economic pressure to Kim's regime.

    The resolution breaks new ground, sanctioning specific sectors key to the North Korean economy -- such as mineral exports -- and seeking to undermine the North's use of and access to international transport systems.


    Read More
  • EU hammers North Korea with crushing sanctions

    04/Mar/2016 // 627 Viewers

     

    PARIS, MARCH 4, 2016: (DGW) - The European Union on Friday joined forces with UN sanctions against the isolated state of North Korea by adding 16 and axing 12 companies as a result of the latest rocket launch by Pyongyang, DailyGlobeWatch can authoritatively reveal.

    Recall the United nations voted to expand crippling sanctions against the hermit Kingdom on Wednesday and in a swift reaction it responded by  firing  projectiles into the Sea of Japan which sent a danger signal to the countries in the region.

    Recall in 2006 the EU came down on North Korea with restrictive measures. Sources told DailyGlobeWatch in Brussels on Friday that Friday's extension was none other than a transposition of  28 members EU states aligning  with the United Nations Security vote on Wednesday.

    A defiant rogue  regime in Pyongyang has been breathing out a threat to use its nuclear weapons which it says are on standby for a pre-emptive attack in the face of growing threat from its enemies.

     


    Read More
  • Taiwan and China leaders to hold first meeting since 1949

    04/Nov/2015 // 155 Viewers

    The presidents of Taiwan and China will meet in Singapore on Saturday to discuss cross-strait issues, Taiwan’s presidential office said, in the first such meeting of leaders from the two sides since the Chinese civil war ended in 1949.

    Taiwan President Ma Ying-jeou will fly to Singapore to meet with Chinese President Xi Jinping, the presidential office said in a statement.

    The meeting comes at a politically sensitive time in Taiwan, with elections for a new president and legislature being held on Jan. 16.

    China’s Taiwan Affairs Office said in a statement: “The mainland’s attitude on a meeting between leaders from both sides of the Taiwan Strait is positive and consistent. If there is news on this, we will issue it in a timely manner.” The purpose of Ma’s trip was to “consolidate cross-strait peace and maintain the status quo”, his office said. Ma would not sign any agreements, nor issue any joint statements with China during the trip, it added.

    Taiwan’s cabinet would meet with leaders of parliament and the island’s political parties on Wednesday to discuss the trip. Taiwan’s Mainland Affairs Council, the island’s top China policymaking body, will hold a press conference on Wednesday, while Ma will hold a news briefing on Thursday, the presidential office said.

    Ma’s pro-China Nationalist Party, known as the Kuomintang (KMT), is trailing in opinion polls behind the main opposition Democratic Progressive Party, which traditionally favours independence and is loathed by the Chinese Communist Party.

    Chiang Kai-shek’s Nationalists fled to Taiwan following their defeat by Mao Zedong’s Communists at the end of the Chinese civil war.

    Since then Taiwan has been self-ruled, but China deems the island a breakaway province to be taken back, by force if necessary, particularly if it makes moves toward independence. Previous Chinese attempts to influence Taiwan’s elections have backfired.

    In 1996, then-Chinese President Jiang Zemin ordered live fire missile tests and war games in the seas around Taiwan to try and intimidate voters not to back Lee Teng-hui, who China believed was moving the island closer to formal independence.

    The crisis brought the two sides to the verge of conflict and prompted the United States to sail a carrier task force through the Taiwan Strait in a warning to Beijing. Lee won the election by a landslide.

    In March this year, Ma flew to Singapore to pay his respects after the death of the city-state’s first prime minister, Lee Kuan Yew, a diplomatically sensitive visit given China’s stance that Taiwan is a renegade province.

    China, which maintains a good relationship with Singapore, holds that there is only “One China” and Taiwan is part of it. However, Singapore also maintains a close, informal relationship with Taiwan and the two signed a free trade pact in 2013.

    (REUTERS)


    Read More


CLICK TO WATCH BBC WORLD NEWS