PARIS, JULY 1, 2016: (DGW) THE embattled former National Publicity Secretary of the Peoples' Democratic Party, Chief Olisa Metuh has given reason why he wants to refund the N400 million given to him by former President Jonathan.
This in fact is the second time he would be making this plea to Nigeria's antigraft commission to get their expressed consent for out of court settlement.
In a statement issued and delivered to our Paris newsroom, the counsel to Chief Olisah Metuh, Onyechi Ikpeazu, said based on the information before his client regarding the source of the money, he would make a complete refund despite the fact the money has been spent but he has no option but to source the money from , friends, family friends and associates.
Below is the copy of the statement sent to our newsroom:
“In the light of the circumstances regarding the case of our client, Metuh with the EFCC, we want to explain the reasons for our client’s proposal to refund the N400 million released to him by former President Jonathan, “ he said.
Metuh said he had all the while believed that the money was released to him by President Jonathan after his presentation to the ex-president, and hence did see himself as committing any crime.
“Our client had no knowledge of the source, a fact that is now obvious from the evidence of the prosecution and defence witnesses.
It was however while in court that a document was brought regarding the source of the money and since then, our client has made manifest his willingness to refund the money and has indeed approached his family, friends and associates to mobilise funds to refund the entire N400 million to the government regardless of the fact that the money had been expended based on the directives of the former president and that part of the money had been recovered from one of the prosecution witnesses. We want to confirm that since then, we have been in talks with the Ministry of Justice, the EFCC and other necessary bodies on how to refund the money and resolve the issue.”
According to him, “We want to restate that at the time the money was released to him after his presentation to the ex-president, our client had no knowledge of the source, a fact that is now obvious from the evidence of the prosecution and defence witnesses.
“Our client had every cause to believe that the money was from the ex-President to whom he made presentation, received directives and rendered report and accounts accordingly.
“When the matter first came up and CMetuh was invited to the Office of the National Security Adviser (ONSA) in December 2015, he requested to know the source of the money and expressed his readiness to make refunds if it was from government coffers, not minding that the money had been expended as directed by the former president. Officials at ONSA never got back to him as they promised, until his arrest by the EFCC in January 2016.
“Our client occupied no government office. His commitment and dedication to his official duties have been confirmed by even prosecution witnesses. In this whole saga, he has been an unfortunate victim of circumstances. His refunding the money therefore goes to show his support for the anti-corruption war as well as serve as a testament to his sincerity, integrity and honesty in this matter.
“There is no doubt that the prosecution has considerably embarked on some expenses in the course of this case. It is hoped that by not discounting the sum already recovered, whatever cost so far incurred would have been defrayed. By this, a critical objective of recovery of funds would no doubt be achieved.
“It is pertinent to restate our client’s continued support for the anti-corruption campaign, which is necessary to ensure probity in the affairs of Nigeria to the extent that it is conducted within the rule of law.”