The House of Representatives has resolved to summon the Inspector General of Police (IGP), Ibrahim Idris, and the Kano State Commissioner of Police, Rabiu Yusuf, over the alleged constant harassment of the supporters of the Kwankwasiyya Movement.
The House resolved to constitute an ad hoc panel to ascertain the reasons for the harassments and intimidation of supporters of Senator Rabiu Musa Kwankwaso in order to avert a breakdown of law and order in the state.
The committee will report back in three weeks for further legislative action.
Adopting a motion by Rep Aliyu Sani Madaki (APC, Kano), the House said some members of the National Assembly from the state had intended to hold meetings with their constituents but were forced to cancel them by the Kano State Police Command, after having been duly informed, thereby infringing on their rights to peaceful assembly and association as enshrined in Section 40 of the 1999 Constitution.
The lawmakers recalled that on January 29, men of the Nigeria Police barred some members of the National Assembly and the Kano State House of Assembly from entering the venue of the APC Northwest zonal meeting in Katsina.
The House said the following week, members of the Kano Assembly were invited to the state police command and asked to make statements on what transpired at the meeting in Katsina.
The House said it was appalled that the meeting took place in Katsina State, which was outside the jurisdiction of the Kano State Police Command, “and at best such matter, if any, can rightly be inquired into by the Assistant Inspector-General of Police (AIG) in charge of the zone.”
While saying the invitation of the lawmakers did not follow due process, the House noted that “the manner in which the police commissioner descended into the arena over issues that are purely political, is such that many in Kano now regard him as the de facto factional chairman of the All Progressives Congress (APC).”
For residents of Nyanya, a buzzing satellite town of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Abuja, February 16, 2017, would not be forgotten in a hurry. In the early hours of that day, tragedy struck at one of the hotels in the town as a lodger, believed to be in his early 60s, decided to end his life by setting himself ablaze in his hotel room.
The fire, which consumed him in his room later spread out, razing the entire hotel to the ground.
The victim was said to have moved all his belongings in the hotel to another room before setting himself on fire.
The deceased, Dr. Isaac Ojukwu, Abuja Metro learnt, was a chieftain of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) who had anchored the Diaspora wing of the party in Denmark and Germany among other countries of the world.
Charred remains of Dr Ojukwu!
When Abuja Metro visited the burnt Boundary Plaza Hotel, sympathisers who massed at the scene could not fathom what could have triggered such a tragic act.
Our reporter was told that the deceased, from Ohuhu in Umuahia area of Abia State, had been lodging in the hotel for a period of five years.
A guest at the hotel, Ohize Yakubu, who claimed to have lodged at the hotel since 2013, said they made efforts to rescue the deceased from the raging inferno, but he wriggled out of their grasp and dashed into the consuming fire, where he was burnt beyond recognition.
Recalling his last moments with the deceased, Yakubu told Abuja Metro that they went out together to watch a Bayern Munich and Arsenal football match that night.
“We all returned to the hotel, but, minutes later, I started hearing strange sounds from his room, which was directly opposite my room,” the witmess said.
He claimed that he was frightened by the sounds and thought it was a robbery and, therefore, did not open the door immediately.
“I thought it was armed robbers until I started hearing some bangs on the door and voices shouting, ‘fire! fire!’ I opened the door and came out,” he said.
Yakubu added that, though his wife escaped with their son, his documents and other belongings were all burnt in the fire.
The Senate has confirmed Walter Onnoghen as the substantive Chief Justice of Nigeria.
The Senate voted to confirm Mr. Onnoghen, after the Cross River-born judge fielded questions from the lawmakers during his confirmation hearing on Wednesday.
“We are enlightened by some of the views presented today,” said Senate President Bukola Saraki, commending Mr. Onnoghen and thanking his colleagues who asked wide range of questions.
Mr. Saraki said the screening and the eventual confirmation was a milestone.
Mr. Onnoghen fielded questions on various subjects, relating to the independence of the judiciary, corruption in the judiciary, establishment of special courts for corruption trial and respect for court rulings, among others.
During the confirmation hearing, he asked to be excused from commenting on the delay in his nomination and trial of judges for corruption.
Mr. Onnoghen’s name was forwarded to the Senate on February 8 for confirmation as a substantive CJN by acting President Yemi Osinbajo, having been so recommended by the National Judicial Council.
He had been leading the country’s judiciary in acting capacity since November 10 when he was so appointed by President Muhammadu Buhari, following the retirement of Mahmud Mohammed.
The delay in nominating him to the Senate for confirmation had generated controversy, with lawmakers from his home state accusing the President of sectionalism.
Mr. Onnoghen, 67, was born in Kruiku Town, Biase Local Government Area of Cross River State.
He bagged his Law degree from the University of Ghana, Legon, in 1977 before his BL certificate at the Nigerian Law School in 1978.
He started his career as a Pupil State Counsel in the Lagos State Ministry of Justice, in 1979, after which he ventured into private practice.
In 1989, he returned to public service as judge in the High Court of his native Cross River State.
He joined the federal judicial service in 1998 as Justice of the Court Appeal, a position he held until 2005 when he was elevated to the Supreme Court.
He is the first CJN from Southern Nigeria in 30 years.
PARIS,MARCH 1, 2017: (DGW) ACTING President Osinbajo has said Nigeria has no business importing anything from China if the manufacturing industries in Aba are sustained and developed.
He disclosed this while receiving a delegation of some top functionaries of Abia State Government, Aba businessmen and industrialists.
They were reportedly led by Governor Okezie Ikpeazu and the Minister of Industry, Trade and Investments, Okey Enalemah at the Presidential Villa, Abuja on Tuesday, February 28.
According to Osinbajo, “Nigeria has no business with China if all hands are on deck to develop Aba as a major industrial Base.”
“Aba was very strategic and important to the country in terms of manufacturing and production.”
Reacting, Gov Ikpeazu said, “If Aba is giving the needed and adequate attention, which include infrastructural and human capacity development, it has the potential and capacity as the SME capital of Nigeria, to position Nigeria as truly the giant of Africa.
“Our government is doing all we can do ensure the infrastructural turnaround of Aba, but we can’t do it alone, that is why we are thankful to the Federal Government for showing very strong interest in partnering with us to development Aba as the SME capital of our dear country-Nigeria.”
Justice Binta Nyako, of the Federal High Court in Abuja, has dismissed six of the 11 charges brought against Nnamdi Kanu, leader of the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB), by the federal government.
The charges dismissed bordered on “ownership of unlawful society, illegal importation of radio transmitters and researching on how to make improvised explosive devices”.
A magistrate court in Abuja had thrown out similar charges in 2015.
Nyako said she took the decision to quash the six charges because the prosecutor did not present any evidence.
However, she held that Kanu would be re-arraigned on a five count of treasonable felony.
On January 12, Ifeanyi Ejiofor, Kanu’s lawyer, had prayed the court to quash the charges against his client because he had not committed any offence by agitating for Biafra.
On Tuesday, Chukwuma Soludo, former governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN); Patrick Utomi, a professor of economics, and some Igbo leaders called for the immediate release of Kanu.
They described his trial as persecution, and they asked the government to release him for the sake of engineering a new Nigeria.
The Deputy Senate President Ike Ekweremadu, PDP, Enugu West is leading a seven- member delegation of the Senate to South Africa following the return of Xenophobic attacks in South Africa where Nigerians have been attacked, injured and property destroyed.
It would be recalled that the Senate on Tuesday, condemned in strong terms, the return of Xenophobic attacks in South Africa, just as it described the action as extra-judicial killings of Nigerians by both the South African police and South Africans on Nigerians.
The Senate also advised the federal government to reconsider Nigeria’s diplomatic ties with South Africa with a view to averting the recurrent cases of xenophobic attacks and extra-judicial killings of Nigerians in South Africa. The Upper Chambers had also resolved to send a delegation to South Africa to engage their fellow parliamentarians on the matter.
The resolutions of the Senate on Tuesday were sequel to a motion by Senator Rose Oko, PDP, Cross River North and titled, ” Resurgence of Xenophobic Attacks and Extra-judicial Killings of Nigerians in South Africa.” It was co- sponsored by three other Senators.
Senator Oko who expressed concerns over recurrent cases of xenophobic attacks and extra-judicial killings of Nigerians in South Africa, had said that on February 18, this year, South Africans attacked and looted businesses belonging to Nigerians in Pretoria, pointing out that the acts violated Article 5 of the United Nations Universal Declaration on Human Rights which she said provided that “no one shall be subjected to torture or cruel, inhuman or degrading treatment.” She has also recalled that in 2016, 20 Nigerians were killed under similar circumstances over allegations of drug trafficking without a recourse to legal processes and the principle of fair hearing.
Son to late Afrobeat pioneer, Fela Anikulapo Kuti, Femi Kuti has lambasted President Muhammadu Buhari for hiding his true health condition from Nigerians.
In a chat with entertainers, Femi Kuti said there was nothing wrong with the President being sick but that the problem was the ‘lies, pretence and deceit’ surrounding the situation.
According to Kuti, “It is sad that our leaders cannot be honest with the nation. If the president is sick so what? Is it a sin to be sick? If he is sick you tell the nation he is sick and that is why there is a constitution and government.
“If he is sick, the vice president takes over. So, there is nothing wrong in it. What is wrong is lies, pretense and deceit and that is what happened during Yar Auda’s administration. The same people who criticized Yar Adua’s handlers are doing the same thing today. It is wrong to put the nation in suspense.”
Shortly after Buhari embarked on his medical vacation to London, rumours had it that he was dead.
The rumour was further fuelled by the fact that the President on the day he was expected back, following the completion of his vacation, sent a letter to the National Assembly same day, informing them of his decision to extend his vacation to enable him complete and receive medical results.
Last week Tuesday, the President through his media aide, Femi Adesina revealed that series of medical check-ups he carried out in the cause of his vacation had necessitated his prolonged stay in London.
A coalition of Niger Delta militants on Wednesday threatened to blow up Multichoice (DSTV), MTN, Shoprite and 16 other major South African investments in Nigeria if the Federal Government fails to shut them down within one month, reports Punch.
The militant groups have also given South Africans living in the country one month ultimatum to leave the country.
The threat from the militant groups namely, Niger Delta Watchdogs, Niger Delta Volunteers and Niger Delta Strike Force is contained in a copy of a letter addressed to the Office of the South African High Commission to Nigeria located at 71, Usuma Street, Off Gana Street, Abuja.
Signatories to the letter are General John Duku (Niger Delta Watchdogs), General Ekpo Ekpo (Niger Delta Volunteer) and General Hart Bradford (Niger Delta Strike Force).
According to the letter titled ‘Attack and Killings of Nigerians Living in South Africa’, the militants expressed anger that the South African Police were shielding criminals and joining them (criminals) to kill Nigerians.
The companies listed to be attacked include MTN, DSTV and Shoprite, Eskom Nigeria, South African Breweries (SAB Miller), Umgeni Water, Refresh Product, LTA Construction and Protea Hotels.
Others, according to the letter, are Critical Rescue International, Global Outdoor Semces, PEP Retail Stores, Woolworths Holdings Limited, Truworths International Limited, Clover Industries, Oracle, Power Giant and Airtime.
The militants said, “Arising from the joint meeting of the Niger Delta Watchdogs, Niger Delta Volunteers and Niger Delta Strike Force held today (Wednesday) in Port Harcourt, we condemn the recent attack on Nigerians in South Africa.
“We want to state that the recent attack (on Nigerians in South Africa) will mark the end of this nonsense because we will not fold our arms and allow this to continue. We, therefore, call on the Nigerian Government to immediately close down all the businesses owned by South Africans in Nigeria.
“Failure to close down these companies within one month, we shall mobilise in full force and commence massive attack on the above mentioned South African-owned investments in Nigeria. We shall also make sure that all MTN masts and offices are brought down to naught.
“We shall strike any property and persons from South Africa within our reach; we will bring down Multichoice (DSTV), Shoprite and others. We will not fold our arms and watch you (South Africans) slaughter our people like chickens for no just cause.
“We are fully prepared; our professional fighters are already strategising, South Africans must be crushed in Nigeria; our people must be free from these wicked agents.”
The militant groups warned Nigerians against patronising South African businesses on the expiration of the ultimatum to avoid casualties.
Explaining that South African Government wants to kill Nigerians within their (South African Government) territory, by all means, the Niger Delta agitators cautioned that they would not allow such a plan to be executed.